1st service on ND. Maybe of interest ref: cost

1. My model of MX-5 is: _ND 1.5 SE-L
  2. I’m based near: Cheshire__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __N/A

Took my vehicle for it’s first service yesterday, the cost was £165 barring a few pence. Also had a courtesy car from the dealer. Used a different main dealer from where I purchased the car, as the service manager has looked after me previously, so a bit of loyalty I suppose. My mileage was just over 5000.

I wouldn’t mind that really with the convenience of the courtesy car, about par for the course I reckon on price. Some may find it at a lower price if they shopped around, it’s possibly the hassle of finding that place though.:+1:

1 Like

A warning … I do my own serving on my ND, but my wife’s 2020 Mazda 3 is on a PCH so she insists that it is done ‘properly’ by a dealer. I couldn’t get through to our local Mazda service dept on the phone so I booked the 3’s first service using the Mazda iPhone app. The price quoted was £401, which I thought was steep. Anyway the dealer rang soon after to confirm the booking and when I queried the price he said ‘oh no, that’s not the price, it is £220 and the work takes two hours.’ So if using the app, make sure you confirm the price by phone.

4 Likes

I had my 2013 Mazda6 Sport serviced and MOT’d recently at the Mazda main dealer where I bought it. Price was £150 including collection (or I could have had a loan car) - reduced rate as due to lockdowns I had done less than 950 miles in it since the last one.

2 Likes

Good result. I wouldn’t have anyone driving my motor though lol
Very fair price, considering the circumstances.

1 Like

Forgot to say, they washed and vacuumed it too! Did a lovely job.

1 Like

I paid £194 last week for 1st Service same model and didn’t get a Valet, this was Hendy and no courtesy car. What group was your dealer sounds like its time to swap!

Magna Mazda Christchurch. Really nice friendly bunch of guys.

2 Likes

not too far from me either and I think we have a Magna nearer

1 Like

I must admit I would never let a dealership (or any) person) within 10 miles on my car to wash or vac it

I wonder if they used the 2-3 bucket method, taking a solid hour easy, rinsing out the gentle lambswool wash mitt after each straight pass, and not circular passes to reduce swirl infliction. Using a ph neutral high lubrication shampoo to protect the existing wax layer previously applied. After undergoing a gentle pre wash of course, using, again, ph neutral products. Did they dry it well to ensure no water spots, using an ultra gentle ‘pat only’ method with a fresh, clean microfibre towel, or perhaps even didn’t use contact at all, but used a dedicated car dryer to reduce contact again?

4 Likes

Another vote for Magna Mazda (Bitterne Southampton)
Wife’s had CX-5’s from them since 2012 (just bought No5) and they’ve consistently gone above and beyond.
Very competitive on price for new cars and servicing, and the odd warranty issues we’ve had has always been dealt with fairly.
Nice people to deal with imo.

2 Likes

Haha! It’s my daily driver (covid permitting). They washed it for free; it came back shiny. Result. :grin:

2 Likes

Totally agree! I used to leave large notes attached to the steering wheel and stuck under the wipers saying “DO NOT WASH THIS CAR!!!”

4 Likes

So do I. I put one in the window/dash, one over the gear knob and tell them themselves not to wash it. I’ve even got a ‘don’t wash car’ hanger to the rear view mirror.

2 Likes

Was that before or after VAT?

My Itemised is:

ENV Disposal £5
Service £116.60
Packing (whatever that is) £1.90
Oil Filter £12.18
Oil £26.40

Total 162.08 + 32.42 VAT = £194.50

Do the same now.

At first service Mazda EMG Cambridge washed it (contractor) and caused £500 of damage by dragging his zipped jacket over the front wings when reaching across it. EMG wanted to pass the issue off to the contractor but reminded them it was in their care custody and control and (a) I didn’t know they were going to wash it and (b) they were responsible for their contractor. Got the work done privately and it was reimbursed. £500 for the work and Gtechniq coating.

At second service had Do Not Wash notices everywhere but was told they no longer wash cars when serviced.

What they did do was disconnect my dash cam and as it’s tucked up under the rear view mirror did not spot it was disconnected for about 2 weeks. Luckily video footage wasn’t required; annoying though. Obviously mechanics didn’t want to let anyone see what they were doing, but if the bonnet was up, it would only have recorded the bonnet.

As I’ve said I service my 2017 RF myself but my wife’s 2020 Mazda 3 had its 1st service in P’boro today (Donald’s). Very similar experience to grumpybadger … but, as will be seen, I too was grumpy in the extreme over one item:

Packing - just checked online … 9956-41-400 ‘Packing’ is the sump plug washer. So all’s well there - £1.90, as for grumpybadger.
Oil - to be fair they used the right stuff - £66.70 - more or less the same as MX5parts.
Oil filter - £11.50 - bit steep, as was the washer
Brake cleaner - £3.80 - not sure why but nice to have clean brakes
Screen wash - £5.98 - this is ****ing disgusting given that the washer bottle was full anyway. I guess they know that people don’t feel comfortable saying ‘don’t fill the washer bottle’ when they hand over the keys. I will next time.

Total, after adding VAT, was £220 - exactly what was quoted when booking. I have to say, too, that although I didn’t want a valet and didn’t want to pay for one, the car was cleaned and polished well & the tyres were dressed too.

I think the price is reasonable for those (such as the Mrs) who want the book stamped. The bedside manner wasn’t great and these visits are never occasions I enjoy, but the job was done quickly & efficiently. It looks like that although individual dealers vary a bit in price & what is done/charged for, £220 is about the going rate for a Mazda 1st service.

I wasn’t even offered a wash and valet, due to COVID apparently, they are only sanitising the car

(Quote: As a result of Covid-19 we have placed both our customers and colleague’s safety at the forefront of our strategy, replacing wash and vac with a robust dual sanitisation process on arrival and prior to collection).

So it appears different franchises have different rules …

Edit: I did get a vehicle walk around video though

They try this on with me. However my washer bottle is always full. So I ask for a reduction, or the bottle of screen wash.
Since they usually store it in bulk, like the oil, they have to give me the reduction.

And I also have a mirror hanger “Please don’t wash this car.”

Mazda3 service is due on the 19th.

1 Like

The oil at £26.50 does not look right. It certainly is not the Mazda oil and I am unable to find any oil suitable for a new ND at anywhere close to that.
If it was my car I would want to know exactly what oil had been used.
:heart:

1 Like