2000 nb lost keys

So I lost my keys to my pride and joy.

Turns out on a 1999 to 2001 a new key needs to be programmed into the ecu and immobiliser. Paid 120 ps to have a new key made and the car unlocked and then paid to have the car moved to Perry’s mazda in Preston. This was the 3rd April 2020. Now 22 days later I am still waiting for my car back. They have said I need to replace all the locks ecu and immobiliser as well as the ignition. I have been on the phone to mazda customer service numerous times and still no answer. After arguing with them about getting the code from my SN off the immobiliser and generating a code to program the new key in they now say I need to buy 3 new mazda keys from them and even then they can not guarantee they can program the new keys to my car without the original key. I have sent proof of ownership and licence as well.

Does anyone here know of a way to get my car started in need of help.

Thank you in advance.

I got a complete ecu / imobiliser / key and lockset for my 2.5 from Mazda dudes for well under a hundred quid. Cheapest option in my book. Even included glovebox and center console locks

1 Like

Here is a link to how to change the ECU and imobiliser.

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=2938

Thats all you need to do in the short term to get the car going. You can leave all the other locks, including the ignition in place if you are prepared to hide the key supplied with the ECU under the steering wheel cowl inside the “antena” for the imobilser…no one will be any the wiser. Good luck

You are being given the runaround here!
£120 is a fair price for a new key programmed to a MK2 MX5. Transponder chip has fixed data so can be cloned. later MK2.5 facelift has rolling security and data updated every time ignition used so clones do not work.
I would get the car back along with all your money as this dealership clearly do not know what they are doing.
Lock change should not be required unless there is a physical problem with the locks/ignition. There is a 5 digit code that will allow you to get keys physically cut to work on your car.
If you have the 8 digit unique code associated with your ecu/immobiliser new transponders can be coded to your existing system.
Several easy solutions to your problem; just get the car back.
I will send you a private message.

Hi Lffsam,

I followed your advice, paid 55 quid to move the car from perry’s mazda dealer in Preston as they had the car for a month and then wanted to force me to pay 280 quid for the key to be programmed. Bought a lock and ecu kit second hand from ebay and had it fitted by ribby Road garage in Kirkham. Took him half a day and my pride and joy is up and running again. One hour labour charged.

They would not part with the 8 digit code and in the end just got the car back and put a new ignition barrel ecu and immobiliser in.

Have you got a spare key too? :wink:

Brilliant you got her going again.

Tried this but car keeps cutting out. Held coded key next to the new key and black ring but still cuts out

Well, well, you might have to be bothered to reply to the private message I sent you then:-)

1 Like

Eh, it’s not fixed then?

If I read your post correctly, you have replaced the ECU, Immobiliser unit and ignition barrel. Therefore your old key is redundant.

If you have not replaced the ignition barrel and are still using your old key, remove the antenna coil which surrounds the ignition barrel from its housing ( do not disconect the wires ), and cable tie the new key ( which you got with the kit ) inside the antenna coil and secrete beneath the coloumn cowling.

I do not understand that if a mechanic did the work, and the car started and ran when he finished the work, why the car is now cutting out.

If it is the immobiliser unit which is stopping the car, it could well be that the replacement kit you bought was/is faulty.

My car was a mk2.5. I do not know if the mk2 is the same, but mine had a little red key symbol (light) on the dash cluster. This indicated to me that it was the immobiliser stopping the engine.

Not your best idea upsetting Rhino, as he knows far more about this kind of thing than me…he may however be feeling benevolent…

Speaking for myself, but I strongly suspect others will agree, our comunity dosen’t function on hit and run. Several respected members have offered help, but there has been a distinct lack of response from yourself…until you hit the next barrier / problem…good luck my friend.

Ii have it running, but got a spare key cut and was hoping to put the original key in the dash and. Use the spare key to start it with the transponder key letting the ecu think I am using the coded key. Can get it to work if original key outside and tohing the bar retouching. I work in the department of justice and work odd hours. 12 a day 10am to 10pm or 10pm to 10am an am super busy. Sorry that I do t get around to responding so quickly but I will always reply as soon as I get a chance.you guys have been very helpful and have been driving my car now for a few days. Been on the phone with national tyres today as they busted my caliper when putting on new disks and pads which I should have just done myself but thought it would save me some time I don’t really have. They might just fit a new one for me for free as I put two new yokohama tyres on the back as well so not cheap.

Total cost to get running was £435 for the mess up by perry’s mazda, locksmith and ribby Road garage coupled with the advice I got here on the forum. Also just put a recon 1.8i in and a new clutch at £900 but she is a keeper. Going to ship her out with me to Cyprus in 3 weeks as move there for work and excited to get her out into the mountains there.