2002 MK2.5 1.6 MX5 for sale - £550

2002 MK2.5 1.6 MX5 for sale - £550 

My 2002 MK2.5 1.6 MX5 is for sale as I’ve just bought a 1.8 RS version.  Located in NG23.  Same family for around 14 years (my brother and now me) and has done around 116,000 miles.

The Car has a MOT until 22 April 2020.  It will need the chassis rails welding to get it through the next MOT as the rails are fairly rusty.  I have today had the local garage that MOTd the car last time have a look and they have estimated around £80 to have the rails done so it passes an MOT.  This is just to patch them up for an MOT - as noted below it will cost a lot more to do the job throughly.  As such I think it’s best to assume for your £550 you’re getting 6 months of use of the car and the option then to repair if deemed worthwhile or break.  

I thought I’d offer it here for £550 in case there was anyone wanting a cheap MX5 for spares or to run for 6 months to see if they like MX5s.

Green hardtop in second picture NOT included

Good points:

Everything other than the usual rust.

Mechanically (as far as I know) very good  - it’s done all the Owners’ Club track events this year and one round of the Japanese Sprint Series without missing a beat (it had a very sedate life for 13 years with my brother).  

Full service history and serviced every year – all with Mazda (all bar one at Marriots of Boston, as was, the other was at Mazda Nottingham) until the last two services, which were by the local garage.  Timing belts fine and don’t need replacing.

Matching Goodyear tyres all round on good condition 14 inch alloy wheels

Good hood – mohair replacement by MX5 City a few years ago.  It’s shrunk a bit, but is in good condition and doesn’t leak.

Interior in good condition

No accidents or repaired accident damage.

Recent suspension set up by Roddisons in Sheffield, set up for on-track stability.

Bad points:

Rust….  As mentioned the chassis rails will need repairing to get it through another MOT.

The sills have been repaired by MX5 City and few years ago.  They also touched up the boot lid which was scratched.

The seatbelt mounting points have been welded for this year’s MOT.

There is rust starting on the wheel arches in all the usual places.   Despite this the car still looks very presentable.

Currently fitted with a roll bar that I will have removed (fitted and removal by Roddisons, so professionally done)

Currently with with Japanese Sprint Series decals on the doors as the plan is to run it in Round 8 if it doesn’t sell.  These will peel off.

At this year’s National Rally (rollbar now removed):

At Bylton a few weeks ago:

Is that figure of £80 quoted correct as the work generally required for this type of repair would usually be nearer £800? 

Thanks for the reply

To answer your question, that’s what the garage told me earlier today.  Personally I think it’s best to assume for your £550 you’re getting 6 months of use of the car and the option then to repair or break.  

They charged me the around same for repairing the seatbelt mounting points six month ago and said something like ‘£100 buys a lot of welding’ when we discussed the chassis rails at that point.

Yes, I think that would be best.

The problem with these front rails is the double skin area, a spot welded ater trap which will likely need to be replaced in its entirety with a single skin bespoke panel or panels on both sides.

Lots of preparation required, parts removed, etc and a £400+ bill to get the job done properly. Quite possibly worth doing on this car.  

Thanks again for your reply  - I don’t disagree and the reason I’m only asking £550 is I think the potential cost of repair if done to make the car solid for a long time (rather than just fix it up to get through an MOT) mean that it’s possibly not worth doing.  

That said, I think it’s a nice car for £550, even with the rusty chassis rails.  

If anyone is intersted I’ve no desire to hide anything and will answer any questions as honestly as I can.  

Julian

I managed to post pictures in the ad:)