2007 NC - Need Help With Bolt Identification

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2007 NC
  2. I’m based near: Cardiff

Hi All,

Can anybody help identify the purpose / function of the bolt highlighted in the pictures?
The bolt is located under the dash on the passenger side ( viewed by dropping the glovebox down).

I had a dashcam hard-wired in and the person who fitted it has used this bolt to earth the camera. However, since I got the car back there’s quite a pronounced judder from the near-side front wheel at moderate speed and above. It definitely wasn’t there before and as I said, it’s really quite noticeable.

As this bolt seems to go through the bulkhead, I’m wondering if by loosening it off and / or slotting the camera earth lead behind it, it’s created some play in some part of the suspension?

Any thoughts or ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Hi
I think I am right in saying there is no way that bolt could have anything to do with your suspension.
If the vibration is definitely new since the camera was fitted, then “something” has happened externally on the car.
First check all the wheel nuts are tight, then look at the offending wheel for damage, missing balance weights and tyrewall issues.
Did the installer take the car out for a test drive to make sure everything was working?
Check the camera footage to see if there was an “incident”.
Also this could just be a coincidence.

Good luck finding the issue.

1 Like

Coincidence I think too, nothing that bolt could do to the NS wheel area if loosened it’s just impossible.

Does your wheel/brake disc get hot that side after a drive? Calipers are known for seizing on the NC and check the slide pins too for free movement.

Apart from that as suggested has it been hit, someone driven it and hit the wheel that side.

2 Likes

Hmm, I agree; that bolt is nothing to do with suspension.

It looks like one of those holding the dash cross-bar, the strong bit underneath everything else. If that bolt was not biting correctly on the bodyshell behind it might allow a rattle, but it would not affect the suspension.

There is an official ground point, G2, nearer the fuse panel, which is the one I used.

That bolt is one of three that holds the dash in place, there will be another one lower down and if you open the door fully you will find a black plastic ‘dome’ that pops off the head of a third bolt which also secures the dash.
Nothing that would affect your wheel judder.

Thanks all for your input and for taking the time out to offer advice, As you say, seems like it’s just a timing coincidence with the dashcam installation.

I’m working my way through the list of possible causes but a caliper and / or warped disc problem seems the likely culprit.

Ray