2017 ND RF 2.0 rumble

Had PS4 on my 2016 Recaro for 18 months and they definitely do not produce rumble!

OK, so here’s a further update. Mileage is now 24,000, so another 5k. A few months back I borrowed a set of wheels and tyres (part-worn Bridgestones) from a friend, put them on and the noise was still there. He ran my wheels and tyres, there’s no noise on his ND running my wheels and tyres. Conclusion: it is not the tyres. I was at the Silverstone Classic at the weekend so the car had a good run. The wheels and hubs were not abnormally hot when I checked them at a motorway services en route, same when I arrived home. The noise is getting worse. I can hear it now at 20mph and above, and it is a proper howl at 70mph. Today I jacked it up on the drive. Parked in neutral, handbrake off, front wheels chocked. Raised the rear offside wheel. No play. When I rotated the wheel by hand as if it were moving the car forward (i.e. clockwise to me), as fast as I could, no noise. When I rotated it backwards (anticlockwise to me), there was a kind of clicking noise, a bit like the freewheeling noise on my bicycle. Put that wheel down, then jacked up the rear nearside. Again, no play. Here when I rotated the wheel by hand, I got the opposite effect. No noise when rotating the wheel backwards (although of course this is now also clockwise to me) and the same clicking noise when rotating the wheel as if it were moving the car forwards. That (to me at least) says the LSD is suspect. Any other thoughts?

1 Like

Has the diff oil been changed? What was the oil like?

I’ve changed a couple of diffs hence why I say change oil annually

Happy to help if you are near Sheffield

1 Like

Update. It was the rear wheel bearings. Both sides.
Replaced under warranty at 24,000 miles. Dealer had never seen this problem before so It took a week to order the parts from Europe. £330 per side. So the warranty paid for itself. Happy days!

2 Likes