2020 MX5 worth it?

From 01/01/21 Johnson has warned us of a 10% WTO tax increase on all imported cars. It will be even less value for money then.

Looks like a thumbs up for buying it!:+1:
Just double check and double check again the history. Guess it’s from a main dealer anyway?

Looks good to me

£30k is a lot for an MX5, and I thought £22k was a lot for 12 month old GT Sport Nav+ soft top with 1900 miles.

I bought an RF brand new in September 2018,
one of the first in the country, fully loaded with everything

I’ll try to finish this time before I post.

Bought a RF GT SPORT tech in September 2018, one of the first in the country, fully loaded with everything available and paid 26k including scratch and dent cover for three years. And zircon body and seat coating. Also got 50% financing from Mazda at 0% over 3 years.
The list price was over 31k at the time.

Car is excellent in every way and far better to drive than a Merc/Audi/BMW imo, and better value for the spec.

The one advertised is strong money,

Its hard to say whether or not its worth that much but as an example, i have the original bill of sale for my 1996 1.8is. The car cost £19,240. So i have no idea about inflation or what that sum would represent today but going by that, £30k doesnt sound so bad comparitively. As for the new MX5, i have driven both the Mazda and the Fiat versions. Both are impressive to drive and both have their pros and (limited) cons. What i would say is that i found both of them tight for leg room as i,m 6’ 2" tall.

1 Like

Very interesting that so went on the Bank of England inflation calculator.
£19240 in 1996 would be the equivalent of £36338
(Only goes up to 2019).
So in reality not bad I suppose :thinking::wink:

Not so good for my 1966 brand new M.G.B that i purchased then,i paid in 1966 £860.00 including optional extra wing mirrors,heater,underseal,tonnau cover,according to Bank of England inflation guide,it should now be £16141.65 brand new,which sort of equates to new top of the range MX 5 which actually would be nearly double that now.
Oh for a brand new M.G.B for £16141.65
Have a nice day Simon

2 Likes

I suppose it depends most of all on how wealthy you are, and how much you want it. Marginal utility of money and all that. Definitely not worth it to somebody who needs the money to pay bills and eat.

More usefully perhaps, the fact that MX5’s seem to have increased quite a bit in price recently means it might be better to compare with other options, especially just buying a very good second hand one.

While there are plenty of lightly used ND’s around for half the money, £30k looks like a reckless amount to spend on a new one. And you won’t have to experience the agony of that first paint chip because it will already have half a dozen.

I bought the same spec car in August 2019. 19 plate in snowflake white, registered by the dealer in Apr 19 and used as a demo car. It had 104 miles on collection and I paid just shy of £22k for it.

I thoroughly recommend the safety pack features, mostly for the magical Adaptive LED Headlights, Blind Spot Monitoring and the occasionally useful reversing camera, and £18.5k is a pretty good price I think.

Collecting 2020 2L sport tech RF Saturday, ordered early March, but due to lockdown it was in limbo. More than I’d prefer to pay, but you can’t take it with you. Like the current spec. Plan to tour Europe for a few weeks each year as and when, hence the 2L RF.

I totally agree with you! As the old song says:-
“Enjoy yourself it’s later than you think. Enjoy yourself while you’re still in the pink.
The years go by as quickly as a wink. Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself it’s later than you think!!”
And we ain’t getting any younger!

5 Likes

Sorry for the late reply guys, what a load of k***s the dealerships are!

With regards to the one I saw “Ceramic metallic, Safety pack option fitted including reversing camera
£18,490”. Spoke to their px guy, he gave me a decent price for my car going on the CAP scales, I said that’s great, BUT will it be 100% guaranteed as I’ve been here before with Lookers, they said they’d give me the top price and when I got there offered less than the bottom price, even though they said my car ticks all the boxes for the top price!!! They said yes we will give you exactly what was quoted as long as the car is how you say it is.

So the next day I spoke to the sales people…we’ll get back to you! When they did my px price had now gone from £19,850 down to £18,150 :crazy_face: I said what…why? Oh you were quoted May’s price, we are in June now! As you can imagine I wasn’t happy and told them I’ll leave it.
I’ve seen a car the same as mine but with no options on it and more miles going for £22k, so no way I was selling at £18,150

The car has since gone so I assume sold, the search continues lol.

You are in the same position as me, I hope to pick up my 2020 ND next week, hope you’ve got it today, enjoy. You know its worth the wait!

£30k is steep but dealers will be keen to shift stock, car sales are at rock bottom.

I bought my RF ND2 brand new but got some discount, previously I had the facelift Audi S3.

Audi better build quality, 310bhp, Quattro, dual clutch 7 speed auto, etc etc, cost almost £10k more.

The MX5 out does it in all forms of driving, I would never go back to a boring Audi, they are soulless despite the power. Also had 2 TT’s (3.2V6 and the latest shape in diesel form), they are nice cars but not sports cars, pretty much A3/Golfs underneath.

Visit your dealer two weeks before the end of the quarter (mid June) and ask for a serious discount on new. They will be desperate to try to make quotas, especially during such a depressed market. Get a commitment to trade in value on your car before negotiating on purchase price. Go on Carwow or similar sites first, see what price offers you get, then be cheeky and ask your local shop to deal at £1500 lower than the best offer you had. You may be pleasantly surprised, I know I was.

1 Like

Yes collected, yesterday, all good. Limited handover due to social distancing, but no problems, I have a manual. Can’t find anything to do with changing miles etc to km yet, but not in a rush. Sounds like the adaptive lights cope with driving in Europe which is a good thing.
Enjoy your new car too👍

1 Like

Hi PC2,
Have a look here https://www.mazda.co.uk/owners/videos-and-manuals/ The online manuals are more ‘complete’ than the paper ones that come with the car. Lots of hidden detail in there that can be useful.
Happy reading, enjoy.
:heart:

Just scroll the menu to the right for the settings menu and then push right to select the settings tab and is there. My wife insists on having the car in KM so I am often in there switching it back when I drive her 6 or my 3!