9 years off the road

Greetings. Just joined today . Thought you might be interested to know that I bought a Eunos in 2008 , drove it for three years then put it in the garage. No special treatment, no starting up . Two days ago I bought a new battery , put a gallon of fresh petrol in . After about twenty turns of the starter , it fired up. Everything worked , air con , interior light , cigarette lighter . Today it passed it got its MOT no problem. Amazing little car

10 Likes

Welcome jerzy, thatā€™s remarkable, mine had also been off the road for many years and had a big was recommissioned and goes just great, the only problem was debris in the tank which I have just cured and posted about it on here, enjoy it especially in this is weather.
Regards Dave.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave , I heard all sorts of horror stories about starting a car after years of un use , but absolutely no difficulty at all . Was going to drain the tank , but literally just put a fresh gallon of petrol in . Testament to Mazda.
Itā€™s on 90k kilometres so just need to change the belt I think

Not surprised really.
I had to do the same (with some trepidation) with my Mk1 a year ago after it lay for two years ( garaged) waiting either scrapping or restoration. In with a scrap battery all charged up, a few turnsā€¦bingo. Just kept the throttle at 2k RMP for about ten minutes, then it settled as if nothing had happened. I had filled the tank to keep condensation at a minimum, but equally it meant I had a lot of old fuel to burn. In the event, it did with no issues. Iā€™d also put new oil in, but not a filter, so that got swapped out.
Basically as it was getting restored anyway, all the stoppy bits were replaced with a 100% suspension replacement (it had all corroded solid), and all the fluids were replaced. Plus, a new Panasonic battery. So far the Nippon Denso leccys are all working as they left the factoryā€¦which is remarkable really. Done 3k reliable miles since.
Simply good solid if basic engineering.
Good luck with itā€™s fettling Jerzy.
9 years is ā€œBarn Findā€ quality! :grinning:

Iā€™d change out the water pump as well Jerzy TBH.
Standard practice in the main.
Plus a coolant flushā€¦defo.

Sound advice thank you , I definitely will change all that whilst doing the belt . Hopefully then many more years of use.

My last MX-5 had sat in a garage unused for 7-8 years when I bought it. The battery was flat (I bought it without having started it upā€¦) so I had it towed to a local garage. They put a battery on it & it started first flick. Immediately did an MOT on it and it passed without any advisoriesā€¦ I gave it new tyres, belts, fluids etc. as a matter of course, but indeed they are cracking little cars!

1 Like

All good advice above I would include belts as well, if your interested have a look on Mazda menders website at ā€˜from unloved to rebornā€™ basically itā€™s a 15k miles 10 years off the road barn find, Wayne did a great recommissioning on I can tell you that with confidence and experience as that car is now mine :wink::grinning::+1: itā€™s a great source of information as to what to do to a long layed up car.
Good luck Dave

2 Likes

Incidentally the guy I bought the car from is selling his wife/partners yellow MX5 I think itā€™s a MK2 donā€™t know anything about the car but the young guy is a 100% genuine decent and honest, if anyone is interested !

Iā€™m grateful for all the advice . I will certainly take a look at what Wayne has written. Mine is a 1993 1.8 Eunos and this time my intention is to keep it running , perhaps 2000 miles per year. My brother in law is a motor mechanic and he wasnā€™t at all surprised that it started and everything works.

Hi Jerzy

Sounds great. With 12 years old tyres though, I think you should invest in a new set all round to be safe!