'93 BRG restoration.

Noted.

Many thanks.

Some forward steps following an issue with the BRG base coats having an allergic reaction to what seemed to be cheap water based 2 pack from an insurance spray job a few years back.

Needed a ā€œbarrierā€ coat to remedy the situation.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Itā€™s not been easy for them. Much work over and above original agreement but they are absorbing it and are determined it leaves as an example of what can be done with tired rotten old Roadstersā€¦with a suitable amount of folding stuff.

Ā 

Second clear coat soon once 1st is cured & rubbed.

Will keep those remotely interested posted.

Looks like sheā€™s coming along very nicely

Thanks Dave.

3 stage flatting & mopping over the next couple of days.

Then:

Interior valet & leather feed.

SS exhaust fitted

Engine bay clean up

Exterior fittings

New chassis torque-up

Panasport alloys clear coated

Laser settings

Andā€¦MOT/Tax/Insurance!!

Well, I for one, am remotely interested in this projectĀ Ā mainly 'cos I live a fair distance away!Ā Ā Only joking, really nice to see this car bring brought fully back to life! Thatā€™s two in your stable that have had an impressive amount if resto work undertakenĀ 

Barrie

Thanks Barrie, appreciated.

We old grumpy stalwart Mk1-ers are definately in the natural automotive ā€œCircle of Lifeā€ decline as happens with every marque which evolves and moves on, as they must.

I think some of our cars might survive us!

Even Wayne Carini loves his early white Miata Superchargerā€¦so I guess we keep good company!

Haha! Thatā€™s so wierd! Iā€™m actually reading this, and whats on tvā€¦Wayne Carini! Sheā€™s finally coming together Robin, looking amazing! I love a respray, just something about new flawless paint on a car that just makes you want to stand and stare at it for a very long time! Was gonna call you to see if you had her back but now Iā€™ve seen this. Gimme a shout when sheā€™s home mate and weā€™ll get a wee meet up for a coffee arranged. Canā€™t wait to see this in the metal!

Really taking shape now Robin , looking forward to seeing the finished article ā€¦ like you say , our BRGā€™s will probably outlast usĀ Smile

Just buried Mum on Monday mateā€¦so tbh Iā€™ve not seen the thing much.

Sheā€™d been really ill for a few weeks, so stayed mostly there.

Couple of ad-hoc drop ins if passing by.

Relied on photos they have been sending.

Busy clearing her house, but will catch up soonā€¦probably next week IFā€¦I can get it booked for lasering.

Thanks.

It will never come close to your Pebble Beach example, however, itā€™s about 7 kilos heavier with ruddy HMS Hood deckplating underneath, cavity injected to oblivion, and sits on a new chassisā€¦and as such bullet proof & turnkey useable without having to worry about rot orā€¦much else bar ancient Nippon Denso leccy stuff. 

TBH, itā€™s hard to see what would cause issues now bar leccyā€¦easily dealt with as it goes along. 

I just needed a decent looking & reliable Mk1 I was familiar with and void of nasty surprises. 

At least I know where itā€™s been most of itā€™s UK life.

Getting abused by me.

I guess itā€™s actaully worth polishing now.

Trivial question really; I can see this is a part respray. The back end is stripped of course, and the bonnet and half the bumper masked off. But why didnā€™t the paintshop take out the sidelight housings and take off the front plate frame.

Its now a good 10 years since SAZ9961 was repainted, one thing Iā€™ve noticed, as a result of not having the screen taken out, is cracked paint around the windscreen rubber; hardly noticeable as it was a montego blue top coat on montego blue original. But I notice itā€¦

Since then though, the car has ended up with 3 different shades of M8. 2 years after the repaint, a wheel span on an iced up manhole cover, and ploughed me into a grassy bank. The carbon fiber-kevlar nose probably saved the car, but I ended up having to fit a new bumer and two new wings. So now theyā€™re slightly different from the bonet. And then the rear wings and rear bumper got a lick of paint 2 years ao (rust repairs).

I know what I need to do, and thats turn back the clock to 2001, when I did this:

And then someone did this in 2002ā€¦

[quote=saz9961]
Trivial question really; I can see this is a part respray. The back end is stripped of course, and the bonnet and half the bumper masked off. But why didnā€™t the paintshop take out the sidelight housings and take off the front plate frame.

A[/Ā 

Donā€™t know Saz TBH.

What I do know, is the original quote has long been surpassed , and they have done a hell of a lot of fabrication & additional panel paint well over and above the quote to which they are sticking. So, it could be cost.

As for the plinth, that SOB is bomb-proof studded inā€¦the risk of damage is probably whyā€¦perhaps.

TBH Saz, for the price, Iā€™ll be happy with a " 5 foot" result.

If Iā€™d beem paying say 7k for a bare metalled shell bag job, Iā€™d be saying somethingā€¦but Iā€™m paying a fraction of that.

Although, Iā€™ll be interested to see the final result in daylight but on a pensionerā€™s budget, so far so good.Ā Ā 

Looking good Robin.

Giving me the push to get my S-ltd finished! Iā€™m back for good from Dubai so have no excuses anymore !

[quote=Scottishfiver]

The Ā£1.2k job I paid for K843JJN was definitely a 5 foot job, or maybe 8. But they did take bits off the car. Except the rear plate, which was strange. Lots of hail damage on that car.

Mine works out ā€¦or did at Ā£1100 for rot &a paint Saz. The complete chassis, hood, alloys , tyres, battery &service items and eventual numerous sundries soon pumped it to 3.6k! Then soon thereā€™s MOT, tax, and insurance. And a fresh tank of fuelā€¦It was pretty much a scrapper 2 months back.

How easy is it to remove that trim strip around the bottom of the rear roof/ top of rear wings? I have seen a few that have had a fine paint finish put on that has been let down hugely by just masking this off rather than removing it prior to spraying.

I believe the hood needs removing, and so time is labour & money.

When I had my wifeā€™s 2002 Sport refurbished, it was masked successfullyā€¦zero overspray. But then, that coachworks was the excelllent Foz Sports in Clackmannanshireā€¦real artisansā€¦and it cost.

[quote=saz9961]

That job looks so like mine in many respects!

Cheers Saz. 

Thank you very much.

Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™m at Autolink re hood fitting.

If you are a domestic threatened species with shelves to put upā€¦or worseā€¦grass to cutā€¦you may want an escape route! 

Sorry to hear about your mum mate, I didnā€™t know. Anything I can do, even just a chat, let me know.Ā