93 Roadster sump oil

1. My model of MX-5 is: __93 1840cc Eunos Auto
  2. I’m based near: __Stirlingshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Engine oil

I do not have the original engine. I do have an oil tight 1840cc replacement with an estimated 80k miles. It’s always had 5k changes with OEM filters in my 7 years, and I do not even get HLA chatter no matter how long it has stood. It ticks over bang on 750rpm, and as silently as these engines can be.
I estimate it goes through about a half litre between changes, so that says something.

Given retirement, I have access to a local friend’s 4 poster to do my own basic servicing ( to a degree)
Given that, it’s up to me to choose my lubricants now, and so far I’ve settled on 10/40 semi-synthetics, not Magnatec, and not anything cheap either. I’ve already gone through the 1840cc oil ring fail fiascos.

Does anyone care to recommend a ( to them) preferred brand? Cost is of no importance, just reliable quality. This Roadster will be driven in ( cough) the upper reaches of the rev range in the open Glens…which is easy to do with the Jatco 'box.

Many thanks.

I’ve owned both Mk1 & Mk2 1.8’s and used semi 10w 40 oils. Used Castrol GTX (is that still available?) but I would say any branded oil is good like Halfords oil for instance.
I now use Castrol Edge 5w 30 in my daily driver and Mobil 5w 30 in my NC both full synthetic.

What’s the problems with magnatec?

1 Like

By “reputation” and pub stories…Magnatec was not the best for our narrow oil ways
Perhaps poppycock.
Halfords…aye…except we need to drive a round trip of 40 miles since the Falkirk one closed.
Which of course is illegal…
Now I’m left with Eurocarparts ( stupid prices) locally…or online ordering for any car related ad hoc purchase. Our two local indy car shops have gone as well.
Days of shelf browsing are gone for good here.
It’s a bit desperate these days.

I usually use Opie oils if buying a couple of lots of oil, the last order was free delivery over £60, all the way from Cornwall, tother end of the island for you.:grin:

1 Like

I totally forgot Opie.
Good shout!

Mobil 1

1 Like

I have used 0/?? fully synthetic oil for years as it has better low temperature flow and is apparently made from higher quality base stock than a 5/?? or 10/?? weight.
Afaik it’s rare to see excess wear caused by poor lube oil quality on a well maintained road car, mainly because synthetic oils are so good, even a 0w30 synthetic is good for sustained oil temperatures of 130 degrees or so, which you’re unlikely to see a fairly lightly stressed non turbocharged engine.
Another vote for Opie. They often have 10 or 15 % special deals as well.

2 Likes

Noted.
Appreciated.

1 Like