£98 Fully Comp with protected NCB

Last year I paid £102.77 for fully comp. insurance with Saga . This year I received a renewal quote from them  of £139.51p. I always use the comparison sites and without asking Moneysupermarket, using info I submitted last year, sent me an email offering insurance with Saga at £98-72p. I contacted Saga direct and was told that they couldn’t match the Moneysupermarket quote so I went on line to pay the £98-72p. I had difficulty with on line payment so rang the Saga contact number and this time got a different department who told me they could match the on line quote in fact they knocked off the 72p  . I cannot understand how insurance companies work but suffice to say I now have insurance £4-77p cheaper than last year . My MX5 is more of a toy so I  do less than 2,000 miles each year but putting it into perspective I have a years fully comp / protected NCB insurance for £4 less than another member is paying to have a diagnostic check on his car to find a folding hard top fault. Bargain.  

2 Likes

Whoops my mistake £10 less than a diagnostic check…

^^^ Barrie will be pleased…not!

Who knows how they work think when giving one a decent quote and others they fire it right up and won’t budge much on price.

The best I ever got it down to was £124 for a Mk1, can’t remember which company, one I rang up said we can’t insure for anything lower than £130 no profit in it for us and put the phone down on me pretty quick. When you get quotes of £300-£500 for the same car it just makes the whole world of car insurance prices seem a joke.

Now you’ve got me started…

1 Like

Last year Lancaster wanted £140 full NCB, all modifications notified with guaranteed value for my 89 Mk1. After a phone call got it down to £116.

This year renewal was £140 phoned again and reduced to £115.

Here i am with a MK2.5 with no mods getting charged low 500’s

Maybe me being 25 has something to do with that.

1 Like

You may have something there…

1 Like

Raking this Saga post up again, because I need cover (renewal time again) and I’m confined to quarters, dodgy shoulder.:weary:

I can’t remember being with them, for one year maybe. I get a letter every year from them with a quote but for my daily driver. It’s come in at £161 for a bog standard SEAT 1.2ltr 5 door hatchback. It’s the best I’ve had so far.
Hoping to get a quote for my modified NC2 it was refused by Saga (online) too many mods inputted on their system I guess.

So the question is, are Saga ok, I know it’s a question of you only find out after a claim made etc?

I’m currently with Admiral, need a bit of info, not contacted them yet, I know they’ll reduce my quoted renewal, it needs to be around £100 less at least on my multi car policy.
And who’s got a good price for modified car insurance recently?:+1:

Hi mick
I had the RECARO insured with LANCASTERS
( :weary::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::weary:I know, I know)

But with all mods declared it was only £180 ish​:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:fully comp ,
4K miles p/a
That’s less than my previous mk2.5

Thanks Geoff, I’m not sure about them, cheap enough though.
Admiral want £334 for the Recaro, LV £339

Here’s the thing, if I put the car in as unmodded LV want £319, so £20 less.
Ok haven’t called Admiral yet, I’m sure they’ll reduce it, by how much who knows?
For me £250 would be acceptable, £300 I’m looking elsewhere.
Lancaster, hmm! read reviews, probably not but less than £200 who knows?

Admiral renewal £622, that’s for MX-5 modified, the SEAT and the home insurance. Last year it was £460 only I changed the MX-5 over as you know.
A big jump even taking into consideration the extra mods, well 1 over the previous car that’s the engine mod to 180bhp and it’s newer of course.

1 Like

I never understand this mentality of trying to save £2.50 on car insurance without looking at the actual cover you are receiving, the quality of the firm, how easy they are to get hold of, how they behave with claims etc etc. I find the people who scrimp on the premium are usually the ones who complain later on about the poor service. It is really important to check what you are actually getting for your money and making sure they are there when you need them. Paying the price of a tank of fuel to get the right cover and service is well worth it.

1 Like

Don’t you think I’ve done that by asking if certain a company is any good. I’ve also compared policy docs and looked at reputable companies.
For instance the cheapest came out for Sterling insurance, a broker, sorry wouldn’t touch them. They seem to have as many :-1: reviews as :+1: so you makes your choice on that.

I’m all for going with a reputable company, a known name but asking about prices and not being ripped off isn’t necessarily going cheap.:open_mouth:

hi ,
its not just about looking for the cheapest , its also making sure you don’t get your leg lifted :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

It pays to talk (to Admiral) £132 less than my renewal quote. Two cars + home insurance £490.
Not as cheap for the Recaro as you got it for but there you are, postcodes and all that. Still it worked out £30 more than last year’s total cost for all three.
It’s a price juggling contest with them, if you pay up the quoted renewal no quibble it’s win win for them. Quibble the inflated price renewal and if successful you think you’ve come away with a bargain price, you haven’t really, you’ve just played their game.
It’s worth it just to have a few quotes on hand from other companies, they always ask if you’ve had any to match or beat.:+1:

1 Like