A couple little spoilers

So over the last week I have fitted a splitter to the front and a lip spoiler to the back. The front one meant getting car on ramps and a couple hours measuring and cutting. The th rear one was a doddle - warmed the panel then stuck it on.

Overall Im please with result

Nice. What kind of front splitter do you have? 

Its a seat Leon cupra r front splitter modified and cut too fit by the looks of it 

its a very popular spoiler in the vag scene and seems to have come across here 

when i first fitted one too a A4 8 yrs ago they were about £18 from the dealers but they became so popular that they over doubled in price 

Hi there - cheeky request perhaps, but i’ve just seen the photo of your fitted front spoiler which is the same as one I have knocking around in my garage. Brought it last year like you from good ol Ebay but never got around to fitting it - so any chance you can send a couple of photos to illustrate how you have fitted, as the supplied instructions were as good as useless and your car has spurred me into action. 

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Hi Matt

I have posted a few more pics to maybe help you. Its not hard to do but the splitter is too long so cutting is the most critical part. Method I did was:

1. cut off the two little tabs on center parts so you have flat surface to mount on. Not the whole things just the two bits sticking up. You then have a flat tab to touch car.

2. with small drill I drilled pilot holes in those tabs and in all other tabs

3. hold splitter against car. you start from position you want the middle to be (I have put side shot to show its best a little back from front)

4. then measure and see how much too big it is. the splitter follows the contour of bumper and kind of goes up and down rather than straight.

5. I cant remember exactly but I cut off 3-4 inches. I did it a bit as a time - remember measure twice cut once)…

6. you want the cut shape at end to match up with the plastic down part near wheel arch

7. I then attached with a load of self tapers. starting at centre and working out.

8. Id advise cutting a bit then joining centre ones and cut remaining when its part joined on.

9. Then follow from centre to end putting self tapers in each tab and manipulating the splitter to follow curve of the car.

10. in truth I cut on side perfect then the next a little too muh, so I cut the first side again to match so I actually have a couple mill gep at end but allows water to flow lol

You will need the car on ramps to fit it as you need to screw it in and its fun getting back down as front of car now lower… I ended up getting out car and controlling with handbrake.

Good luck - worth doing, only problem onw is I want to fit lowering springs and am not sure if front end will be too low. If so I may take a bit more of fron tabs to raise it slightly.

Pat

hi pat,
your spoiler looks great. just what i need,

can you confirm type, where purchased, price if possible.

do you think it will fit a lowered car…??

mine…

thanks

Hi. Same dilemma for me as I plan to lower it… I’ve just measured and it’s 50mm lower than standard at centre and 40 at sides. I’ve currently got 120 mm clearance to floor so am thinking lowering car by 30mm will still leave 90mm. And I know I can trim tabs and make it 40mm drop for entire front leaving 100mm all round. Hope that helps.

Btw the guy above was right it’s a vw part of Cupra. I got it ebay for £39 but looks like they’ve put price up… https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-Miata-MK3-NC-Front-Bumper-Cup-Chin-Spoiler-Lip-Sport-Valance-Splitter/331574988224?fits=Model%3AMX-5&hash=item4d3368cdc0:g:91EAAOSw4CFY4z87

If you do get one let me know how it works on lowered car, which already looks great!

cheers fella

Pat - many thanks for giving such a thorough response - i really appreciate it. Looks like a job for the next couple of weeks, so wish me luck and i’ll let you know the outcome. Matt