A Week and a bit of owning a MX5 mk3.5

That’s me that is. I’ve had mine for a month and still haven’t got it. Its only when they wave I think of it and its usually too late by then.

Good list.

Only had ours 25AE about a month and like it a lot.

On the roof down thing, I usually have the roof open unless I’m going to be on the motorway for a couple of hours, then I have the roof closed. I have enough tinnitus as it is. The tyre noise from other traffic is too much for me.

Great post Ben and fully agree.

I’ve had my 3.5 for just over a month now and look for any excuse to get in and drive it. Only yesterday i went to our further away supermarket with the roof down at 6.00am, the heater blowing mildly around my feet and the seat warmer on 1.

The wife and I are off to the south coast for the day today so life doesn’t get any better for me from a driving point of view and, being of more senior years and follically challenged, i keep a bottle of sun cream in the glove box to save getting a burnt head 

Enjoy mate.

Take your car to a car show and feel the love.

We took ours to a show, all welcome not just classics and got loads of attention. As you can see I was parked between the Mustang and the old MG but guess where they were looking? I couldn’t move away from my car long before someone wanted to have a closer look or ask questions, my wife had to keep fetching me back.

Best purchase we ever made, I’m on my 3rd and loving every moment.

I do.  However, I remember Mk2 and Mk1 owners saying the same about Mk3 owners when the Mk3 was the current version.  I think it’s just a function of who owns the cars.  The older a car gets, the more enthusiastic the driver is (or has to be?) about their car and the fewer “I’ll own it for a couple of years and then move on to something else” drivers there will be.  Therefore, the older the car, the more likely they are to wave at another driver of the same kind of car.  That’s my pet theory anyway.

Just been browsing through this thread and saw RichardFx’s post.

“Don’t confront an idiot, just let him go, he will eventually meet a kindred spirit and they’ll mutually eliminate each other.”

a great quote Richard 

Barrie

Firstly welcome to MX-5 ownership.  I agree with your comments especially the one about people keeping their roof up when in ideal open top weather.

As for waving, I do have a Mk 4 and I always wave to others if I see them.  Most don’t wave back but I think I’m more likely to get a wave back from other Mk 4 drivers than other marks.

Oh dear Ben has the bug…welcome and enjoy…I’m with you and the others…roof has to be down!..I have found on the M27 in light rain provided your over 50 mph you stay dry (MK3)…however we didn’t stay over 50, and we had to come off at junction 8. stop at roundabout roof up and away again.

To really enjoy your car, save up for a track day…buy some instruction on the track for about 20 mins and learn what your car can really do!

enjoy!

My Mk1 is the first convertible that I’ve owned since I sold my Triumph TR6, the last of several TR’s,… in 1981,

I still find that open-top motoring on hot summer days is uncomfortable, and frazzling. Early mornings, and evenings, yes.

Daytime, no thanks.

I love the way that with traditional diesels, there’s plenty of grunt from low revs. Horses for courses.

I loved today, in my Golf, with it’s ice-cold air-con…

I certainly do have the bug. I’m looking to join as a fully paid member pretty soon.  And join a few day trips and hopefully a few track days although I’m a little worried about a track day as it’s my daily driver. 

Ben. 

I owned three different Audis up to around 12 years ago. Back then the driving you describe was usually from BMWs but it does seem to have been added to the Audi arsenal.

Convertible, sun, roof up? Words can’t describe how wrong it is.

I waved in my Mk1s, I waved in my Mk3, I’m still waving in my Mk4 but not had much response. But I’m not going to quit.

I miss my Mk2 roof down air con on, yep I know all soft tops won’t have it but it does work and helps keep you cool. It is rather nice though to have a tin top with the climate on but sacrifices have to be made

We have had our NC for two weeks and it is my daily driver. So far neither of us has driven it with the roof up apart from nipping over to the local Tesco for the weekly shop(not worth dropping the top only to have to raise it again  two minutes later). I work shifts and so am on the road at various times including very early mornings(middle of the night to you 9-5ers!) I just can’t bring myself to leave the roof up - this morning was a perfect example; I got in and was thinking 'roof up or jumper on and roof down? Roof immediately came down!

On the subject of tailgaters - again this morning I had a white van up me chuff that soon became a dot in my mirrors after the first roundabout, that I was able to take at 50 but he wasn’t and nearly spun

Hey Paul, I haven’t been on here much lately and didn’t know you’d bought a Mk4. I’ll be sure to give you a wave the next time I see you around the village.