Active exhaust DIY

Has anyone else tinkered with their exhaust? I fitted a Cobalt rear box last year and sold it a few days later. It sounded great roof down or at low speed, but roof up at over 50mph it droned and I couldn’t stand it! I would like something for all occasions so looked at hushomatic but I don’t like the way they have dead pipes depending on mode, I hate the way they look fake when the other pipes are producing mist and they are not, I also dislike the price.
I have a plan! I have got an active exhaust valve and I plan to get a used standard exhaust and peel the top open, having seen pictures of one open it will be easy enough to fit it inside so it will bypass the silencing when open and return it to a standard note when closed, it will also be standard looking and I like that.
Has anyone done any modifications to their stock ND exhaust? How do they sound compared to cobalt etc?

I am picking my new ND up on Thursday and I have the factory upgrade exhaust (and lowered springs). I have now got the standard exhaust and springs that they took off in my garage. As I will not use them, I am open to offers. It was cut apparently somewhere in the middle when they took it off, but other than that it is brand new and they said can be joined easily with a clamp. If you are interested in it, let me know (I will post a picture of it if I need) - I have no idea how much though…

Would do for me yes. I have had a couple of people pop up already and I’ll be honest it’s cheaper wins :rofl:
I will post pictures and results to help out anyone else who wanted to copy it tho, and my old exhaust will be spare once I have swapped them too.

I am curious to know what the factory fitted upgrade exhaust is? I don’t remember seeing anything like that when I bought my ND2.

Build Your Mazda | Car Configurator | Mazda UK

I have added the link to where it can be added. It has “mazdaspeed” on the tailpipes, but until I pick the car up tomorrow, I have not been able to have a close look yet. It was not cheap, but it does not obviously affect the warranty, which a cobalt might… No idea what it sounds like as I have not driven an ND with or without the new exhaust.

1 Like

This is what was taken off. I believe that the new one is stainless steel…

Don’t remember those accessory options being available when I bought my car. My car was already built anyway that is why I got it for such a good price. Some of those accessories look very interesting if a bit expensive. Cheers.

Most of the options are “dealer fit”, so I presume can be retro fitted to any car. however the exhaust is a lot more than an aftermarket one (ie a cobalt, which I would have gone for). The price does include dealer fitting costs though, but for the suspension no realignment, which is surprising. when I spoke to Blink they were shocked that it did not get re-aligned.

The upgraded exhaust Mazda fit is made by Bastuk. You can buy them direct. Not cheap tho! Expect to pay around £600 for a new one.

I suppose that means Mazda’s price of £750-ish dealer fitted isn’t too bad a markup though. Some items on that options list Snelly linked above made me gasp. (A key the same colour as your car? Certainly sir, that modification is £108.94.)

Does anyone know if the sport exhaust provides any benefit beyond the claim that it sounds “enhanced” for “that sporty feel”?

I saw the key “upgrade” too - but decided that I am not that big a mug - unbelievable! I did go for the perspex wind blocker though… seems to work well - I have the standard one in the garage too

As far as I know the exhaust just gives a different sound. Just been out for a drive and when accelerating from lowish revs in second and third it does sound good - not too loud. I have not been in a standard car, so cannot comment on the difference and as it cost quite a bit, I am not going to think about it. However I will put the standard one that they took off on the buy/sell section as it may be of interest to someone as I will never use it (famous last words).