Adrian Flux Insurance nightmare

So you’re happy with Adrian Flux or was that Grove and Dean?
I’m about to make a purchase on a 5 so I’m lookin’.

1 Like

My only experience with Adrian Flux was when I rung to get a quote for a TVR Chimaera, they wanted to know if I had previously driven a car with similar performance, I said no only on track days. Bottom line was a quote which was significantly higher than Admiral and a few other well known insurers, so I haven’t tried them since.
I’ve not had any issue getting a “mainstream” insurer to quote for a remapped car, and other than audio upgrades that’s all I tend to do with mine which makes life a lot easier…

That said, your premiums sound rather high generally, not sure if you’re in a significantly higher risk area than me, but even so…I’m 52 and paying £180 for my ND with protected no claims, guaranteed courtesy car, legal protection and zero excess. I tend to go with Compare The Market’s best quote and stick with the better known companies. I’ve had 2 claims over the years, neither my fault, and both were dealt with brilliantly

Grove and Dean.
Will neve use AF again from ancient history…once bitten etc.

Yes.
Virgin Money.
Also Virgin full house media pack. The lot bar mobiles.
Suffice to say…we are good customers…but that could change.

Well, that’s a shame. I was hoping to make use of the club benefits for insurance.

OP’s issues sound like the kind of thing that puts you off owning a car in the first place.

Car insurance never did make much sense to me.

1 Like

Frankly, I’d not get too hung up about Forum “discounts” anywhere in any genre.
An M.O.D. Forum I’m a lower level Admin for is riddled with discounts for those in service which, when the lads do a bit of extra homework or get links from experienced mates usually beat the “retained” advertisers quite considerably.
To be candid, and no offence to anyone, so called Club Discounts can be meaningful but limited for essentially fixed price stuff eg exhausts etc, but not for moving targets like insurance…as the insurer can simply front load it and then ( cough) discount.
My preferred method is to do an online trawl, get the best myself, then give Grove & Dean a bell ( with whom I’ve always got on very well with) and just tell them they need to beat by even a wee smidge what I’m looking at. Job jobbed. We always part on excellent terms.

2 Likes

I think that some of these companies purport to give a discount to MX5 OC members but they don’t. I never tell them that I am an owners club member before I request a quote. When they give me a quote I then ask for any owners club discount and they invariably say the quote already includes member discount, even though I didn’t tell them I was a member! They never give you a before and after discount figure.

EDIT: So called discounts in these circumstances are just a hook to make you think that you are getting a good deal.

6 Likes

That’s been my experience too!

Barrie

2 Likes

What really annoys me, not just with insurance, is when I get a quote for something followed by “If you get a cheaper quote come back and we will see if we can beat it”.

In other words they are overcharging and have given you a high price. They wouldn’t do it cheaper if they weren’t still making a profit so why not give you the cheaper price in the first place. On principle I would never get back to them.

Like Scottishfiver I prefer to shop around for the best price and then ask my first choice preferred supplier If they can beat, match or get close to the lowest bid.

6 Likes

We were, 20 years I guess (under different guises) gone right down the pan now. I know the big C thing hasn’t helped things but if you’ve still got a job and dealing with customers treat them with decency not just be off-hand and couldn’t careless attitude.

3 Likes

Those sorts of tactics bug me too, and as you say it’s not just insurance…

I’ve been in the market for an electric garage door, I got someone out for a quote and they gave me a stupidly high figure, when I said it was double what I was prepared to pay they knocked £1,600 off the price, and all sales people seem to be doing it. I’m not sure if companies are blatantly trying to rip people off or whether they think people will bite their hands off if they think they’re suddenly getting a bargain? It’s a disgraceful ploy either way!

1 Like

At the end of the day, we have 2 ultimate weapons.

1. No.
  2. Our wallet!
    Or in my case, sporran with moths in it. :smile:
6 Likes

I was working with a friend who runs his own small tyre company, and one of the nearby big tyre chains encouraged “customers” to get the best price from everyone else, then to go back to them and they’’ beat it…!
Rob

1 Like

If I get the “If you get a cheaper quote come back to us and we’ll beat it” - I never do, they are wasting my time and I don’t intend to waste any more, nor waste the time of the company that offered me a better deal. Goes for insurance and everyhing else (building work, car repairs, whatever).

3 Likes

Going back to Pete’s original post it was a case of deja vu. Adrian Flux telephone system is atrocious , similarly to Pete I had a car already insured through them & required another adding. Again I was on hold for ages, then transferred as it wasn’t the correct department, put on hold again, when answered I was told I had come through to the wrong department & was being transferred again!!! At this point I hung up & went elsewhere. It did make me wonder how I would have been treated if I was unfortunate to be making a claim!!

1 Like

I know that we can all have a bad experience from any company and whilst we may not want to deal with them again, it may be an unusual occurrence - often due to an individual not having a good day.

I have only had good experience with Performance Direct and they were fairly cheap. My NA cost £161, but to be fair, my new ND costs only £260 with Quotemehappy - which I think is very cheap.

Thanks for that, I will definitely check them out. Cheers. Pete.

They did the same to me for my 2003 mx5 .I went on line and went to the compare sites.I ended up with onecall. full compfor £138

They maybe cheap but I found the problem with lv when I had an accident. Very difficult to get the claim sorted , wouldn’t recommend them.

Car insurance is not an easy thing to sort (well, not for me at least) Was with AF for many years with the mk1’s, standard and modified. Never had an issue! First NC and they couldn’t sort with my current, at the time, insurer as NC wasn’t a classic, I eventually swapped to Lancaster and been with them a few years now. Don’t like the call waiting, don’t like the £30 charge each time you amend something, etc. However, I think that’s a similar experience to most now? CoOp on Audi and although the claim was sorted promptly, we have been stuffed on loss of no claims as at renewal time the claim was going to court and not settled? We were pre judged to be at fault? Still not sorted so back with e-sure at half the CoOp premium. Again, think it’s the same across the board, guilty until proven innocent? As said, a nightmare! :weary:
Barrie

1 Like