Advice for novice re wheels

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND sport Nav+ soft top
  2. I’m based near: Seaton Devon
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: wheels

My ND is a 1.5 2019.

I really like the 17” Mazda 7 x 17" ET45, 205/45 R17, Design 66, diamond cut wheels

They look like the ones fitted to the recarro version.

My question is,

On the Mazda web site it states that these are only for the 2ltr version of the car. There are other 17” wheels on the site that Mazda will supply for the 1.5ltr so does anyone know if it would be an issue to fit these?

Reasons for wanting to do this are, appearance and a bit more grip.

Are there any disadvantages of fitting larger wheels apart from tyre cost?

Regards
Clive

1 Like

I have just been here Build Your Mazda | Car Configurator | Mazda UK and it let me add the 17 inch wheels that I think you are referencing to a 1.5 SE-L.
Have a look and see if it helps.
:heart:

This is interesting, so

If you select the wheels on the configurator the price quoted is £1118 (rounded) and as you say it does allow them on the 1.5ltr.

If you lookup the exact same wheels on the Mazda accessories site they are quoted as £876 but with the “only for 2ltr” rider.

So what’s the difference between them?, perhaps when selected via the configurator something else is being changed on the car to make them work? £242, is not much so not likely to be brakes.

Perhaps I should ask the dealer and see what they have to say.

Regards
Clive

Probably tyres.

Ah, yes that’s a possibility, the difference in price between the different tyre sizes, circa £60 a corner.

Regards
Clive

Would the possible difference in tyre rolling diameter mean a dealer cost to adjust the speedo etc???

In the configurator the price will include the tyres in 17 inch to match the wheels but the accessory price may be just for the wheels without tyres.
Perhaps they say 2.0 only as you will already have the larger tyres but if you have 1.5 you won’t and will need to buy 4 new tyres which will increase the cost.
In summary the configurator cost is the difference between the 16 inch and 17 inch for 4 wheels AND 4 tyres. In the accessory brochure the cost is for 4 wheels only.
That is the best my ‘logic’ will come up with.
:heart:

1 Like

Makes perfect sense.

I’ll update after I have talked to the dealer on Monday. The car is going back to have scuff plates and a boot spoiler fitted

Regards
Clive

1 Like

As an accessory, rather than dealer fit as new, you should get your old wheels and tyres back to sell on to defray some cost.

1 Like

The 1.5 litre car I believe has 16" wheels and smaller diameter brakes compared to the 2.0 litre version. I can understand that the 16" wheels won’t fit over the 17" / 2.0 litre brakes but not the other way around.
There are two versions of the Design 66 / Sport Recaro wheels. One version is the original Sport Recaro wheel with more of an anthracite colour and an MX5 logo that is the right way up when the logo is at the bottom of the wheel. The second is the accessory version which is lighter in colour with a different logo which is the right way up when the logo is at the top of the wheel.