ADVICE REQUIRED : Painting brake callipers (MK4 ND)

Hi everyone,

I’d appreciate some advice as I know we have a wealth of experience and knowledge in our forum. 

I’m thinking about painting my brake callipers red and have found this Youtube video of a chap who is doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JQHcSijGcQ

After watching it, here’s the thing that’s bothering me.

Not being a motor mechanic, I’m concerned that masking up the brakes carefully and then painting the whole unit 
(see video link above)

will lead to complications later on when the pads / discs need to be changed or other work needs to be carried out which require 

removal of the brakes.

QUESTION: Is it OK to paint the brake callipers using the method shown in the video, 
Or is it better to opt for the complete disassembly, paint and reassemble method I’ve also seen in a different Youtube video?

I’d like to thank you all in advance for reading and answering my question.

Best regards 

Steve

Hi Steve

Paint is not the problem that oil, grease or other similar contaminants might be. It goes hard and does not permeate brake pads. On that basis any overspray or splashes will quickly be expelled by operation of the brakes. If you want to paint your calipers, go ahead with the right product, masking as well as possible, safe in the knowledge that any brake performance collateral effect will be very short term.     

1 Like

We (wife and I) did ours on our Machine Grey ND last weekend. We bought the E-Tech kit (E-TECH Brake Caliper Paint Kit), gloss red, direct from the manufacturer. The paint is applied with a brush (supplied) not sprayed, and with care no masking is needed. We did 3 coats and the quality of the deep red gloss finish is superb.

2 Likes

Hi, have you got a pic to share as I too have a machine grey ND and am toying with painting the calipers. Thnx

I’d be using brush paint, not spray like MX5RF showed.

Chris - I’m away from home until next week, which is convenient for the calliper paint because the car is on axle stands in a warm, dry garage … so I hope that the paint will be really well hardened by the time I put the wheels back on. Will post some pics early next week.

2 Likes

No - I did use a brush, not spray. Three coats. The E-Tech kit comes with a brush which I thought would be too big, but in fact it was ideal. My wife did use a tiny brush after me but 99% of the coverage came from the brush from the kit.

1 Like

The spray in the picture is the brake cleaner not the paint.

2 Likes

I was lazy, paid £50 for my rears to be painted red. Its a little OCD but they now match my front 6 pots.

Would recommend these guys https://www.mobilevaletbromsgrove.co.uk/

He then goes on to spray with an air gun

Hi folks,
It’s a long time since I started this thread back in 2019… as the threat is still active I thought I’d post a link to my blog page which describes how I painted my callipers red. Hopefully, it’ll give those of you thinking about doing the job food for thought and let you see how easy it really is. From my initial post, I guess you realised I was a bit apprehensive. My fears weren’t well founded, the truth is the task (while a tad fiddly at times) was ok. I’m happy to answer any questions if you have them.
https://www.mx5blog.co.uk/upgrade/red-brake-callipers/

2 Likes

As promised, here are some pics of my painted callipers

and of the whole car. I applied 3 coats. That seemed enough. Because I was away I was then able to leave the car in a warm garage for a week, on axle stands, for the paint to harden.

3 Likes