Air conditioning regas for a 1990 UK mark 1

Hi,

I have a 1990 UK supplied MX5 which was fitted with factory air conditioning, which I believe was quite rare. It’s not blowing cold and so I was looking into getting it regassed and I’ve been told that there’s a direct replacement for the original refrigerant. Does anyone have any experience of this please? I’m based between Bournemouth and Southampton and so any recommendations for someone to do the work would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Paul

The problem you are going to have is, it was originally r12 which is now illegal, so you now need at least r134.

The whole system needs draining and checking for leaks, etc, they may also want to replace stuff.

Been considering this for mine for quite a while, I did my delica with a r12 replacement kit many moons ago which worked well, but can’t find the kits anymore

I haven’t found anyone willing to do it, not that I have had a good look.

You will need to swap from the old freon 12 based refrigerant (now not available) to r134 which current systems use. The seals in your old a/c will also need changing to be compatible, of which there are a few (at every pipe & component junction) The seals are not expensive just the time to change them. R134 also uses different universal connectors to gas/refill but there are adaptors like these: