Alarm, immobiliser non start

Difficult to start then failed to unlock using fob, changed fob battery and red light shows on fob when buttons pressed. Now car will not unlock using fob and when key used alarm goes off and car will not start. Any ideas, OPC locked down

Hi Honda

Welcome to the forum.
Which MX5 do you have? Is it the original alarm on the car or an after market alarm?

Does the alarm cancel when you switch the ignition on?
Some systems will reset it you disconnect the vehicle battery for 10 minutes or so but beware, this may cause other settings on the car to be lost and need resetting including radio codes etc.

Richard.

2015 MX5 ND 1500cc.
Did think of disconnecting battery but as bought second hand I don’t seem to have any radio codes etc and decided against it.
Cheers Michael

PS no alarm does not switch off just goes on for what seems like forever till it stops on its own. Unlocking/locking with the key makes no difference alarm just continues

PPS I am not very good at this. Yes it is the standard Mazda alarm
Cheers Michael

Don’t have any experience with ND’s.
When you try to start the car, does the starter motor crank the engine over at all?
I am wondering if the vehicle battery is discharged (flat battery) or has poor connections. Have you tried a jump start or recharging the vehicle battery.

Richard.

I had already charged the battery the previous day although my CTEK showed health battery, Engine would not crank and ignition stayed off.

Stop Press!!
I have just come back from a short run. I went to the car this morning and everything behaved normally with both keys tried in turn!! Immediate start and no alarm.

No idea what the problem is/was but will keep an eye on it over the next few trips.

Richard really grateful for the support. made me feel that there is help available.
Cheers Michael

ND is sensitive to low battery levels which can demonstrate the symptoms you describe.

ND doesn’t have radio codes, you’d have to be very dedicated to steal that!

Thanks for your reply.

The car battery showed normal during the non start problem with full function of all accessories no problems with alarm/immobiliser so I changed the fob battery, Still no start. I only charged the battery as a “just in case” although the Ctek showed normal before I charged. After overnight charging the problem remained no start but in addition the alarm kept coming on and would not stop either by fob or key. Next day everything normal.

Some gremlin!

Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem in the future, seems solution is to fully charge and leave for 24 hours!