ALDI

And Lidl, Aldi must be doing something right…

because by opening the new ‘Jacks’ stores, Tesco are copying them.

The reality is that for the last 20 or 30 years, Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons were run very much

for the benefit of the shareholders, rather than the customers. 

At the customer end this translated into hucksterish, and illusory pricing practices, where it 

could be incredibly difficullt to work out the real price of what you were paying. ( Assuming that you had the time and energy

to try ).

With Laldis, the price is there, you can see it. It’s clear. 

PS. Recently, I’d popped in to Morrisons, for the ‘big diesel fill up’ on my daily car. ( cheap, and added points on the ‘More’ card ),

drove 2 miles along the road to Waitrose for a tea  and bun, curry from their reduced section, and some organic tea and milk,

onwards to Lidl half a mile away…, where I parked beside an almost new red Ferrari, whose owner was just returning to his car with his shopping. 

I asked him what he did to earn the money to buy a Ferrari.

He replied… “commercial landscaping…”. 

So there you go. 

Must say, he did have the slightly freaked look of a businessman who never stops working. 

It’s another option - if you don’t like it don’t bother with it, others clearly derive some significant benefit.

At the very least Lidl/Aldi will make Tesco and Morrision’s etc work a little harder to retain custom - win. win

I am allergic to shopping but did pay a visit to a Lidl, 10 miles away. I was impressed and we spent some money, not on the wood splitter and cheap tools I intended to buy as none in stock but on cheap experimental non branded foodsfuff/alcohol which was all satisfactory.   

I know it’s not Aldi but imagine the two are very similar.  

Our Aldi is next to Tesco and 2 minutes stroll form home.

Being a Victor Meldrew in the making & retired , it’s easy for us to take time and make the most between them.

I only buy in Tesco on “price per 100 Gms or Kilo”, not the ticket price.

Typically, I wait till various items are on regular “special”…oftgen termed “loss leaders”

The cons know no bounds in that respect.

Then I back fill so to speak in Aldi next door for stuff like tinned tomatoes, spuds, milk etc.

It’s just a question of being selective & intelligent when shopping.

It’s all their jobs to get as much cash out of your bank and into theirs.

It’s our job to maximise value for money by being vigilant with their little tricks.

You have got there Robin!

Moi?

How judgemental! 

This is how Mazda is run.

Morrison has been shareholder owned for over 50 years. Sainsburys was floated in 1973. Tesco went on the stock exchange in 1947.

Aldi is privately owned and is run for the benefit of the Albrecht family, not for the customer, so signalling out British brands for not giving the stuff away seems unfair.

Capitalism is the cornerstone of our society.

I think food banks are run for the benefit of their “customers”.

Aldi have been accused of ripping off independent food producers:

No wonder they never correct statements along the lines of “they’re the same as Tescos/Sainsburys/Waitrose/Harrods”.

I thought this was the only reason to go in. Maybe I’ll look around more next time.

I thought that was prerequisite for senior contributors to this forum:-)   

You’ve missed the point, or chosen to. 

The original ethos of Tesco, of the founder Jack Cohen, was ‘Pile it High, Sell it Cheap’. and that’s why the new offshoot of Tesco is named ‘Jacks’. 

We’ll wait and see if Tesco’s ingrained corporate culture, and supply chain can change themselves sufficiently to make Jacks work as a goto instead of Aldi or Lidl. 

Shareholders are indeed there to make a profit, and yes, that is capitalism. However, in 2014, all the chickens came home to roost for Tescos. False accounting,

screwing down their suppliers, All the years of inflated dividends and share price could not be sustained as the impact of Lidl and Aldi came through.

Morrisons ?  Several years ago, Morrisons profits were hit badly. They could see the writing on the wall, and did some massive changes in their methods of operation,

and the layout of the stores. At the time, the then Chairman said,… “Shareholders must be prepared for several years of lowered profits…” while the changes work through. 

The changes, broadly, have worked.

Sainsbury ? They never really bit the bullet when the impact of Lidl and Aldi became obvious. They did the little trick of ‘Special Offers’ at the end cap of each aisle, but little

else.  Eventually, crunch time came for them. That is why they are merging with Asda.  

I too refuse to buy products I know I can get cheaper at another shop, been doing it long enough now to know where I can get the deals.
We  take advantage of popping in certain places when that way and stocking up. My local supermarket is Asda, I only buy my beer there and milk and the odd pack of choc bars if on offer. We go past Morrisons and Tesco on days out so use those two, again only if one or the other is cheaper for what we want that week/day.

Moving swiftly on to the subject matter Aldi, a new store has opened recently on our regular route and we decided to take a look, we were very surprised at what we found making a mental note of what we could get from there next time we pass. Home Bargains was our original destination right next door but so impressed with Aldi.
So I may eat my words about not buying food from there, btw the middle aisle are still full of c***

After shopping at Tesco for years I gave Aldi a try about 18 months ago, it was a hard swap at first, probably did 50/50 the beginning for some labelled products but after a while couldn’t be bothered with making two shoppin trips so got everything from Aldi! It’s one of those shops you’ve to adjust to, trial and error to see what you like but on the whole we’ve not found that much we didnt like! Took more efforts changing my partners view on branded food than the actual taste! 

Our weekly shop takes us to Aldi first, then Tesco for the few items we can’t get satisfactorily at Aldi. Aldi meat is really excellent quality along with much of their other stuff. Their middle aisle supplied me with an excellent log splitter a couple of years ago which gets plenty of use.