Am I wasting my time fitting lowering springs

Do you have a side on picture mate? Distance from the bottom of the wheel (not tyre) to the arch? (Just for comparison with mine) thanks

Sorry not the best of photo’s

Thanks dude. If you can I’m quite interested to know the distance between the bottom of the wheel to the arch (front and back) to compare this with my nc2 on stock mazda sport springs and bilsten dampers

Back and Front are nearly identical at 638mm (average of both sides of car) from the ground to the highest part of the wheel arch (directly above wheel).

Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thanks dude. Will check tomorrow mine. :+1:

Eibach do a kit for the NC, lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. As i can get a fist between the tyre and wheel arch on mine I think its time to invest lol.

1 Like

Hi

Worth doing with the Eibach lowering springs. I highly recommend it. Lowering the car by 30mm and sticks to the road,

2 Likes

Hi All, I recently bit the bullet and had the Eibach lowering springs fitted to my NC along with Superpro anti roll bars front & rear and new drop links - finished off with a full geometry set up and I can honestly say the car looks and drives AMAZING!!! Well worth it!! A big thanks to Thrussingtons MRC in Leicester!

1 Like

As a matter of interest, is it necessary or recommended to trim the bump stops if fitting lowering springs???

I wouldn’t. The bump stops are to prevent the internal components of the shock absorber from hitting the internal walls. If you lowered the car using the stock dampers but lower and stiffer springs you will be near the end stop more often and as such more chance of hitting said end stop

On the MX5, the bumpstops are an integral part of the suspension design. The car is supposed to hit them, and with the springs, act like variable rate springs.

That said, early on, Japan market S-Specials and US market R-Packages, which came with the Bilstein suspension package, had their own Bumpstop, which was a bit shorter than standard (S-Spec Bilsteins has a 10mm lower spring perch than standard shocks, and modified track rod ends to compensate the change in steering geometry following lowering (aftermarket provided steering rack spacers that achieved the same thing).

People have trimmed the bumpstops, but there is literally 2 decades of postings on Miataforum on the topic, about trimming bumpstops, using alternate, or using NB hardware.

On my NA, I run Protech shocks, pigtail springs with NB topmounts (smaller diameter at bottom compared to top, allowing use of standard Protech spring perch), NB hardware but Superpro bumpstops cut in half. I know the bumpstops do get worked some, and have needed replacing (PU rather than rubber).

1 Like

so. i have had a set of eibachs fitted to the car . its a 2011 2litre sport black with retracting hardroof
pro kit fitted e10-55-010-05-22. rear bump stops were split but trimmed off the bad bits, it now feels odd at the back. on undulating roads it wallows especially if i have a few bits in the boot to load it. feels like the springs cant handle the extra weight of prht as opposed to a softtop.
is there a better spring for the rear? contacted eibach uk but of no real help at all.
or will probably just put the original springs back on
steve

Fitting lowering springs is a cheaper way and for most works to get the car lowered.
Fitting lowering spring to an already tired suspension (guessing Bilsteins) can make it feel like it is wallowing at the rear, been there and fitted them.
Having a set of MeisterR’s fitted (other makes available) solved my woes and got the car lowered and ride comfort I was after.
It’s a consideration re price, probably just sub £900 now plus fitting and alignment costs. It can be an expensive purchase but very worthwhile if keeping the car for the long term.

The good news is that the lowering springs will wear out the tired shocks than if left alone.

The Bilsteins though, unless >200k kms on them, are not likely to be shot, unless externally damaged.

Lowering springs reduce the travel of standard shocks, reducing the shocks ability to control the springs, translating into a bouncy ride. A few owners thought their shocks were knackered after fitting lowering springs and couldn’t understand it.

If it helps, here is my old MK3 before and after fitting Eibach’s to its Bilstein shocks… Sat quite nice I reckon and no trouble with speed bumps :slight_smile:

1 Like