Anyone done the swirl flap delete? NC 2.0

Bit of a thread resurrection this but it ties in to my current turbo nc project. I am looking for a suitable ‘nipple’ on the Intake manifold from which to the feed a 3 bar MAP sensor. I was wondering if removing the tumble or VICS (I seem to have both on top of the manifold) would provide me that with little downside? From the notes above then it would be the VICS that would seem a candidate? any thoughts?

VARIABLE INTAKE AIR SOLENOID VALVE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF] (ncmiata-servicemanual.com)

wiring diagram just for confirming i have identified the components properly

1 Like

Alfa Romeo GT turbo diesel owners were always advised to delete swirl flaps (early cars didn’t have them) as a plastic one can become brittle & get sucked in to engine, later cars had metal ones. I didn’t think NC’s had them.

I have a 2009 2.0 Sport NC2 which I’ve owned for 6 years. almost after buying it the engine management light came on p2187 weak mixture on idling. Drive it for as long as you like then as soon as dropped down to tickeover on it would come back on. Also hunting up and down a bit on tickover. More of an annoyance until the light became part of the MOT. Independent garage traced the prob to the solenoids, there’s 2 apparently. They said they had cleaned some terminals on them or something and the light did stay off for a while at least. 12 months later light on and another MOT, they replaced both the solenoids (over £100 just the parts) and all was well and the tickeover was fine. But a few months later light back on and hunting a bit on tickover again. It was explained to me why this causes irratic ticker. Can’t believe a solenoid has failed again but will be faced with the same prob next MOT along with a failure, a bill to fix it, and off we go again for another 12 months and repeat. I know this is slightly off piste but seems connected to the topic, anybody any ideas. Paul.

It’s quite possibly an incorrect diagnoses and pure coincidence that their messing cured it for a while (they might have disturbed something else at the same time). I do doubt tumble flaps cause a lean idle trigger point and i’ve never provoked it whilst messing with them either.
I would Google the code and chase it elsewhere. You can make the flaps close or open yourself manually to test them.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply DuratecNC. The plot thickens. The next MOT is not until September so plenty of time to save up for another large bill. Paul.
P.S. on a brighter note I have just read that we may well get a heatwave from mid April onwards, plenty of roof open motoring!!!

If today is anything to go by I think it’s here already :slightly_smiling_face:
I live up on the Pennines and was working outside in a T-shirt today.

1 Like

I removed the flaps from the aluminium intake as a matter of course as in way when filing to match up with head ports on a 2.5 conversion. Sealed all the holes with araldite but left actuator in and connected. Passed emissions better than previous 2.0. Tuned remotely.