Baffled - but happy

Long story short - Served my time (just over 3 years since I wrote off my launch edition mk3) , so I thought this years renewal would be quite a bit cheaper.

Not a chance, £450 inc breakdown cover !

So went online to a comparison site, a few at £150 without breakdown cover, never heard of some of them - but AA was only £192 and breakdown from £15.

Left it a day or so and rang them up - unfortunately my pc had decided to throw a wobbler, so couldn’t retrieve the online quote reference number. Went through the usual questions manually and it came out at £315. Luckily the pc woke up and I gave them the ref number - back to £188 and breakdown cover including recovery only £30 more. 

I paid uo before they changed their minds ! 

Colin 

Yes grab the price whilst it’s still on offer, as long as you’re happy with the policy etc. You just know that come renewal time you will have to do the dance again to get the price down. I dread the month of November, that’s when my all of my insurances are due for renewal including the home insurance.

Car insurance is an industry that needs a serious overhaul, we get treated like fools and I’m guessing there are many who just keep paying up each year without challenging the price or doing the comparison sites.

Strange how car insurers treat people come renewal time compared to boat insurance. In over 15 years owning a river cruiser the renewal comes through with just a little more for inflation etc. This years renewal after some kind soul hot wired and stole the boat but was recovered next day albiet with some damage came in at only £35 extra with the loading only on there for three years then back to normal. 

And only £100 total excess on a £4000+ repair.

Golden rule for getting quotes is to do your search 21 days before the policy start date. This will usually get you the cheapest price. 10 days earlier or on the start date the quotes can be double. Sounds crazy but check the figures out here -

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/07/revealed-the-best-day-to-buy-car-insurance-to-slash-costs-by-100s/

Roadie, thanks for the prompt.

I’ve just had a look around on moneysupermarket for a month ahead (although renewal is actually two months ahead), and the prices range from 142.85 with Lancaster, ranging up to 500+ 

The most interesting quote was RAC for 183.82 with breakdown cover for an additional 14.  I might visit RAC who are charging me an arm and a leg for (excellent) breakdown and recovery cover and try and do a deal.

My last year’s premium was about 190 with Admiral, who are not on the compare sites.

The thing that amuses me is the “Main driver” and “Secondary driver” either/or choice.  We are both a main driver if you look at mileage on the other car, and would be on the NC if SWMBO could master the clutch (but I’m not telling her the secret).

We all know how insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay out. Never, lie about anything, they will find out. However if you are insuring two vehicles with two people as named drivers I would assume that having the same person as the main driver on both might raise more questions than one car each. Assuming the cars are registered one to each then the registered owner as main driver would seem the best option.

If both cars are registered in one name then take your pick who is the main driver on each. I would suggest checking quotes with main and secondary drivers each way round. This way you will know which of you is seen as the lowest risk. If this difference is large then rather than tossing a coin have the lowest risk driver as the main driver on the most expensive to insure car.

Lots of other handy tips on the Money Saving Expert web link.