Battery issues on ND

Any idea why after leaving my ND for about a month should the battery go completely flat , iv put it on a battery optimiser to see if it will take a charge
Any thoughts

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
You’ll be fortunate indeed if you can revive a battery thats been flat for some time imho
Probably alarm etc

No not the alarm I never lock it in garage

Seems to be common with Japanese makes. My NC used to go flat within a fortnight as did my Toyota GT86 if left unused in the garage. Both new cars at the time.

1 Like

That happened to me with my NC.
Turned out I had NOT completely shut the boot and the light drained the battery.
I now keep the light turned off!
Perhaps an interior light on (as you don’t lock it in the garage)?

Either way once you get to the bottom of it treat yourself to a CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car and Motorcycle Batteries) 12V, 5 Amp - UK Plug.
They also state they can recondition/restore batteries that have been discharged, (you have nothing to loose).

I had a cheap one I “Thought” was doing a good job, but sadly no.

Others will suggest other chargers I am sure, but trust me you won’t go wrong with the CTEK MXS 5.0.
(Amazon is about the cheapest).
Extension cables available too.

Good luck. :+1:

Wasn’t the cruise control being left on a battery drain on these? Hopefully a knowledgeable MK4 owner will update! Maybe it was only the RF?

Type in the search box, battery ND or flat battery and it brings up quite a few asking similar about battery drain on the ND.

Known issue with Cruise Control on the RF, but the OP appears to have an ST. However, its quite common for such a period of time on the ND, anymore than 2 weeks sitting and mine goes on my C-TEK to be maintained, its been SORN and on it since July.

In my experience the ND2 is better than the ND1 for maintaining it’s charge when not in use. It appears that there is a lot going on under the surface on these cars. Unlocking and locking activates ‘things’ as does opening and closing the doors, all of which shorten the already limited retention capabilities of the ND.
I do hope you can rescue your battery but whatever the outcome it is very important that you maintain the battery with regular charging when not in use.
:heart:

My ND2 Soft Top was left on the drive for two months over Feb/March without a trickle charger connected. Fired up first time when I got home. Keys kept in Faraday cages so not constantly transmitting to car (if that makes any difference I don’t know).

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses all very helpful the issues started when I installed the roof/windows device or that could be just a coincidence anyway could not save battery had it on charge for 12hrs and no joy so went and bought a new battery and I already have left an optimiser so I’ll wire that in when I install battery
Cheers all

1 Like

I really doubt that it was a “duff” battery. I think that it’s down to one, or a combination of possible causes:-

1. Raising the windows after shutting the hood, going off and inadvertantly leaving the ignition on.
  2. Short drives, under 6 miles, between engine starts, not enough to replaces power used.
  3. Boot light, interior light, accessory left switched on.
  4. “Dark” current drain that is small but constant.
    The battery has relatively low capacity any one of those could cause it to go flat in that period of time, the battery on my 2015 ND SE-L Nav did go flat shortly after I got it and after a few days non-usage because of # 2, I now leave a smart charger (Optimate 4) left on permanently when the car is not in use.
    Hope this helps

Don’t worry about the boot light.

I’ve left mine open by mistake a few times, and the light goes off after a set period.

When the battery goes flat??? Lol

1 Like