Battery Management System Malfunction

Had the ND delivered back home today by the Dealer. Apparently my CTEK was telling fibs about the battery being fully charged. Nortonway reckon it was only 62% charged, they charged the battery up overnight, cleared the codes and delivered the car back FOC.

Just went out for my regular little shop at Aldi and The i-stop button blinked constantly, along with “Battery Management System Malfunction” warning flashing up on the dash… As my dealer is next to Aldi, I dropped in for some advise, but when I went to show him the problem it had cleared. Should I just give it a good run more often or invest in a CTEK charger? Car isn’t used every day and batteries do drain more at this time of year… (Whilst at the dealer he told me my o/s reversing light wasn’t working…) From what I can see, they just have a single reversing light on the n/s… Is that correct? Any advise gratefully received…! Thanks, Robert :slight_smile:

My son took his Mazda 2 in for service and MOT today. Because of the frosty weather and infrequent use we full charged his battery yesterday using the CTEK. It passed safety check and MOT with clean bill of health but he was told his battery was low and needed charging overnight. This was a new, larger capacity battery the same Mazda Dealer had fitted exactly a year ago because his old factory fitted battery kept letting him down!

Yep, one reverse light, one fog light. You can change them to brighter LED bulbs easily enough. Lay down under the bumper and you can the bulb holders and a doddle to change.

Hi C,
I would be worried by your dealers lack of product knowledge. If it were me I would ring and speak to the service manager so he can do a little ‘staff training’.
:heart:

2 Likes

If you let a battery stay discharged for any length of time, it kills it really.
A higher capacity battery is no advantage if it doesn’t get charged fully.
It’s a bit like having a higher capacity fuel tank. If you fill it for 1 minute, it will have the same amount of fuel added to it as a smaller capacity tank would if filled for 1 minute.

1 Like

… the reasoning behind fitting a larger capacity battery is that it allows the car to remain garaged and unused for longer and still be able to start when required. Obviously the battery has to be fully charged initially either by a long run or use of a charger.

Of course.
I’m all for a higher capacity battery.
Just don’t expect it to be a cure for short journeys not providing enough charge.
It may well be heavier too.