Battery not trickle charging NB

Left the door ajar for second time. And battery is flat. Have trickle charged before and all went fine. This time around I can’t seem to ground the lead to deliver a charge. Tried everywhere in the boot. The clip sparks if I move it a little and the charge light flashes on the charger.
Any ideas? New battery? Or just keep trying to find a ground?

I personally use the negative terminal on the battery of my NB. Had the same battery since 2016 and done less than 5,000 miles in that time, so it spends a lot of time trickle charging.

“The clip sparks if I move it a little and the charge light flashes on the charger”

You sure you haven’t missconnected the leads?

Usuallly the bolt that’s holding the spare wheel in place is good enough if you can’t get to the negative terminal. But I have a feeling you might have connected the negative lead of your charger to the positive.

always used to take the battery out of my NB and charge it on the bench?..only takes a couple of minutes to get it out…

1 Like

No. Leads are the right way round.

Maybe the battery just won’t take a charge
Leaving a battery flat for any length of time will kill it

1 Like

Clean the connections (battery connection posts to lead connections) then reconnect the charger.

1 Like

Sorted!
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Do you know what caused the battery not to take the charge?

modern smart chargers need a few volts in the target battery to check they are connected the right way round. If it is very flat, you will need a ‘dumb’ charger or jump start before the smart charger will begin to work.

2 Likes