BBR 200 booked and any thoughts on the following helpful

Hi all,

Today I have booked in my NC3.5 for the BBR 200 upgrade. It’s been on my mind a short while to get it sorted. Following on from postive comments on the forum and the recent Jayemm video, I decided that I had to do it.

Thing is do I also have the suspension uprated at the same time? The conversion fitted with a catalyst is about £2600 inc vat and the suspension about £980 inc vat. TBH I’d rather not get it done due to the expense involved, but maybe it’s better I should. Has any kind soul on the forum just had the engine upgrade?

Thanks
Nick

I did the BBR 185 and loving it… expensive but worthwhile. My NC is the sport so I left the suspension alone.

I had the 200 upgrade fitted to my NC 3.5, 5 years ago and it has been faultless. I run with the complete SS exhaust, 1 sports cat only and the GT back box. I had the suspension upgrade done at the same time. 2 years ago I had the Koni dampers / lowering springs swopped out for Ohlins , although more expensive they are far superior to the Koni / lowering spring set up in my opinion. The dual flow valve system to me makes a world of difference damping on the return as well as compression. I would hold off on the suspension and ask BBR to give you a test ride in both types of suspension set ups. I wished I had saved myself the out lay on the konis first off. Hope this helps.

1 Like

do the ohlins also come with progressive springs (two springs one softer and one stiffer)?

1 Like

As far as I’m aware they are linear, there is plenty of info out there on the net about the Ohlin DFV coilovers. for the NC. BBR have plenty of info on them on their site.

1 Like

My 3.5 200 was on BBR springs and Konis. I used it as a fast road car. I never noticed the suspension which, for me, is a major accolade. Btw, it still went like stink, used no oil, and drove like a new car even at 130,000 miles.

Thanks, that’s all very helpful. I’m rather excited at the prospect. I think the cost re power is about right. I won’t track day my car, so maybe initially stick with the Sport spec suspension. Yes good thought, I will ask for a drive of both set ups.

Nick

I had my 3.75 done about 4 months ago. Love it, car pulls nice and clean with no dip at 3K anymore. I’m really impressed with the result. Still well behaved when I’m just driving around and then just aggressive enough when I go over 3500 all the way to over 7200 with power building in a nice linear way. Really suits the car, IMO.

I swapped my suspension for MiesterR CRD’s a few months before. As far as I can tell they are magic. Car sits lower (not crazy low, just looks better low) and offers much more support around corners, but is more compliant/comfortable on the road.

I run a BBR manifold, standard midsection and a
GWR super-Q. I was worried it was too quiet when I first put the back box on, before the BBR200 kit and had it set up as loud as it could (removable silencers bits in the tail pipe). But the volume picked up a lot with the manifold and I ended up putting them back in and it now sounds how I wanted it. Bit of burble on tick over, no drone at normal speeds and volume picks up at the high revs.

1 Like

I venture you’d get a better return by investing in the handling rather than the engine…

Years ago, when I was a biker, most of my mates were tuning their bike engines, suspension and brakes…I invested in advanced lessons…,and ended up a quicker safer rider…both on track and road.

3 Likes

I would agree in principle that if you take a car in general and want to upgrade it you need to upgrade it bottom up, whole suspension, brakes and engine ( in that order ).

But on this occasion we are talking about an MX5 NC Sport tech, therefore, the brakes are fine. As regards the suspension - if his car drives as nice as mine - I think there is absolutely no reason to modify the suspension for a road car (unless you obviously have an itch to scratch)…

Exactly, buy the coilovers and enjoy that fact the car is sharper, rides better in all areas plus your car looks nicer lowered. Stock sport suspension on my NC1 (guessing the 3.5 & 3.75 have been altered) feels too soft when pushing the car, feels like too much body roll but that might be ARB’s.

Personally I would drop £1300 on getting the car to 180hp because you get maybe 10-15% more torque and then spend £1000 on the meisterR with a set up it will be a more complete car. (that’s if the 3.75 has the same suspension as the original nc sport)

The extra power with the 200 comes from a set of cams, but as you would expect you’re gaining that extra bhp right at the top of the rev range. So if you’re not happy to rev the car fully out then it might be a waste of money.

3 Likes

Hi

Thanks for all the comments advice and all was taken on board. I think I’ll stick with the 200 upgrade. I appreciate the views on the suspension but as ckleanth said, I think the suspension is good enough for now. This may change with a little more power and I may get it done at the same time.
Cheers Nick

Doing exactly this with mine next month, glad to have my thoughts confirmed :+1:

Hi Dugwash

Welcome and I hope you are enjoying your car.

Are you having the suspension work as well?

Thanks

Nick

Thanks Nick, enjoyed the car for a couple of years but now just hoping to liven it up a bit.

I’m having ZetaCRDs fitted and set up at Wheels In Motion first in a few weeks, then the Super 185 GT package plus a brake upgrade at BBR. Should do the trick I hope!

BBI claim “ standard power output is exceeded at every point in the rev range, making the Super 200 upgrade both a user-friendly and exciting prospect.” Obviously, much of this increase is at the upper end of the rev range.

Hi Nick
Have you checked on the insurance implications of the BBR 200 upgrade.

Post18

1 Like

@Rebelred, hi mate, who set your suspension if I may ask ( fitting, shock setup, geometry etc etc)?
did you change antiroll bars?

Yes I have seen the Dyno. It looks like a standard Dyno path, similar to the original but with bigger numbers. So the 200hp which is what the kit is named after is still way up there in the revs, probably 7000rpm. Same as the original really, still need to rev it like crazy to make any meaningful power be it more rewarding with the 200.

I went for 180 and it cost me £950. IL headers 400, ramair intake 150 ecutek remap £400. I wouldn’t bother again as small engine na gains are not great value. Sounds better and has better torque but didn’t notice extra 25hp.

After you take it to 200 you want to push the car more and realise the stock suspension isn’t up to the job.