*Update - Rear Spring Failed Again* - BBR Spring / Koni Damper Setup - Ride Height & Sag, Replacement Options

Finally managed to get under the car with the wheels on the deck for a gander at the springs and any grounding damage.

Yep, thems some saggy springs!!

Thankfully not much grounding damage - just a ground down power frame bolt!!

Car back from BBR and all is now well - car steering straight and ride height all good at the back now, and it’s driving soooo much better!!

BBR very helpful etc so thanks to them, happy chap now!

6 Likes

Good news! Did they tell you what they did? New springs all round?

Just the rear springs changed as the fronts are good. So was springs and re-geo.

One other positive - I’d asked about the multi-maps that their re-mapping can provide as I didn’t know if mine had it, turns out mine does and I’ve been in the 95ron map all the time i’ve owned it rather than the 99ron, so now I’ve fixed that the throttle is that bit sharper too!

Small wins!

Soooooo, here we are a year and a half later. After two more lockdowns and still working from home (so no commuting and thus not very much mileage, probs 5k tops) and guess what… Drivers side rear spring is shot.

A year and a half. 5k miles.

Paint is flaked off, spring is corroded and all bar the bottom couple of coils are so saggy that they are basically locked solid. The difference in ride height across the rear axle is at least 20mm (not measured exactly yet, but its a hands thickness!)

To say I’m disappointed is quite the understatement and theres no way I could recommend these springs to anyone. Which also means I’m certainly not going to go and buy another one.

So I need new suspension (I don’t have the originals anymore). Of course theres the much recommended MeisterR options which I’m looking at, but now I’ve been stung once I’m overly cautious to spend money without knowing how well they will last, so if anyone can advise on what they have, how it’s performed but also how well they have lasted, I will be very grateful!

Cheers All

why not just buy new springs. you don’t need to change the dampers.

Advice from Wheels in Motion back in 2020 was that the normal -30mm springs are not suitable for the PRHT due to the additional car weight so I don’t trust those.

I went for the BBRs as they said they did PRHT suitable springs, but as above I’m not going near those again either.

Hi mate, honestly I don’t question what you were told I just don’t believe it. If that was the case the standard car with a hard top would also need different springs.

However you can easily check if the spring rates for the PRHT are different. Ring mazda and ask what spring part numbers they have for the PRHT and non PRHT. If the numbers are different then it confirms what you were told and I will eat my hat.

However you could also fit the sport tech mk3.5+ mazda springs? they dont stand as high as the launch version and will give you the extra bit you need

springs :thinking:

1 Like

@MaxBlack3.75 Thanks for that link, very useful info in there.

@ckleanth The standard springs for the PRHT are a different rate to the roadster and so have different part numbers, as per @MaxBlack3.75 ‘s link above.

But yeah, fair point about speaking to Mazda to see what is available, would need to be a lowered option though

I have asked mazda and they send me the part numbers for my car (which is an NC2 sport tech PRHT ) But I would still ask them independently if I were you

OEM
Front Spring - NH42-34-011A
Front S/A - NH47-34-700A
BILSTEIN - B6 Performance 24-131742 Shock Absorber for MAZDA MX-5 III (NC)

Rear Spring - N163-28-011A
Rear S/A - NH47-28-700A
BILSTEIN - B6 Performance 24-131759 Shock Absorber for MAZDA MX-5 III (NC)