BBR TURBO owners NC

I’ve recently bought a Kendo from BBR which has the stage 2 TURBO and BBR suspension kit fitted by the previous owner. I was just wondering how many others on the forum have a NC turbo. 

Yes, I have a BBR turbo one could describe as a stage 3. Mine is tuned to 352bhp and 327ft lbs of torque. Of course, it is an expensive conversion/ mod but the car is rapid and handles sweetly???.

Wow. Considering I get wheelspin in fourth in the wet as it is I’m happy with around 300 bhp and 250 lb/ft of torque.

Do you have the BBR suspension? 

Yes Alec, BBR suspension including full geometry setup and BBR stage 2 clutch.

1 Like

I’ve got an NC with a stage 1 kit which I recently fitted myself. Suspect I’ll be getting an uprated clutch before long and going for the stage 2! Its an absolute hoot.

Hi,

I have a 2011 NC Sport Black with a Stage II turbo from BBR, it’s running 308 BHP and 257 lb torque. Also went with their Koni/BBR suspension and sports exhaust (which sounds like a spitfire at full chat!). Stage II also involved an uprated clutch.

Love it to bits, no problems in over a year since install.

Great product if pricey but for me it was worth it…

I’ve a recently converted stage 2 and loving it! 299HP & 253lb torque.

A recent st2 for me with 310bhp.

I’ve had mine with Stage 2, plus suspension and brakes for just over a year. 307 BHP / 245 ft/lb torque. The only problem has been a burned out Exedy clutch, it seems they have been using different materials for a while and the quality of them is crap. It’s been replaced with an ACT clutch now which is loads better, BBR fit them as standard now.

I’m seriously thinking about getting a forged engine to get up to around 400 BHP.

That would be obscenely quick- do it!

As predicted I’m used to the Stage 1 now so am considering getting BBR to upgrade to Stage 2. I fitted the S1 kit myself which was enjoyable (mostly!) but would get BBR to do the S2 conversion, considering the work involved in dropping the gearbox.

So how much should I pay for the mk3.? 2013 sport tech BBR350 (stage 2) I saw today?  It’s got under 10k on the clock and I’m already pricing the various things we could live without in our house 

no but really…

Had my stage 2 just over a month now, loving every minute of it, best mod I’ve done ,mine came in at 297BHP but had the wrong unlead fuel in, Neal said to me if I had the super  unleaded  (99) I would get even more BHP 

Well I’ve just finished my DIY install of a stage 2.  Only given her the full beans once so far in 3rd gear to create the ecu log file for Neil to review to make sure all’s well. However, even on light throttle openings you can feel the effect of the turbo - it’s significantly quicker even on part throttle.

one question for the stage 2 guys - does the exhaust quieten down over time?  It’s quite droney at the moment (only done about 20 miles so far).  Also pops and bangs on the overrun and often get a single “crack” when changing up - which is entertaining when it’s just me in the car but at 49 (and slightly balding!) I probably look a right twat!!

@Neil - I’d say if you managed to fit the stage 1 kit without too much trouble, dropping the gearbox and changing the clutch is fairly easy by comparison as long as you can get the car high enough up.  I did have the luxury of doing mine on a 2 post lift though…

Dave

Good man Dave. Unfortunately I’d be working on my driveway with some pretty suspect ramps and axle stands, so a gearbox out job whilst lying on my back sounds like a recipe for some new and inventive swear words.

Still saving the pennies anyway, so I’m a couple of months off Stage 2 yet. A question for you BBR turbo chaps though- when I’m driving along normally and lift off the throttle (particularly after accelerating with boost), when I reapply the throttle I get a pop or sometimes quite a loud bang from the exhaust. To me that sounds like overfuelling- is it something anyone else has noticed? I’ve checked the joints and there doesn’t seem to be a leak from any of the clamps etc.

Fair enough Neil. The hardest part is aligning the gearbox input shaft when refitting the gearbox.  I’ve done gearboxes on the drive before, but you really need someone else to help lift and manoeuvre the box.

I’m getting similar to you on the pops and bangs. My guess is BBR have disabled the “fuel cut on overrun” function in the ecu map - so you get unburnt fuel in the exhaust whenever you lift fully off the accelerator which then ignites from the heat in the exhaust - it adds some “theatre” to the driving experience .  It’s quite loud on mine with the stage 2 exhaust!  A bit like the Jag F type does if you’ve heard one of them.  If I’m right you could probably ask BBR to re-enable this function to stop it.

Dave

Ah, I didn’t know the map had that option, thanks.

I don’t particularly mind the pops and bangs personally but I suspect the main cat isn’t loving it! I’ve already had to replace my backbox as the baffles were rattling like hell too.

Just my guess on the map - most ecu’ do this to reduce fuel consumption.  I’m only familiar with the Emerald ecu which I use to run a Rover K series - that has the option to disable the fuel cut on overrun resulting in lots of pops and bangs on the overrun ??.

I get the pops on over run too… I love them most the time BUT they can be a little much when just trying to plod along… thankfully its not my daily or id probably be asking if they can be dialled down… im only at stage one btw

[quote=Dave_M]

Well I’ve just finished my DIY install of a stage 2.  Only given her the full beans once so far in 3rd gear to create the ecu log file for Neil to review to make sure all’s well. However, even on light throttle openings you can feel the effect of the turbo - it’s significantly quicker even on part throttle.

one question for the stage 2 guys - does the exhaust quieten down over time?  It’s quite droney at the moment (only done about 20 miles so far).  Also pops and bangs on the overrun and often get a single “crack” when changing up - which is entertaining when it’s just me in the car but at 49 (and slightly balding!) I probably look a right [censored]!!

@Neil - I’d say if you managed to fit the stage 1 kit without too much trouble, dropping the gearbox and changing the clutch is fairly easy by comparison as long as you can get the car high enough up.  I did have the luxury of doing mine on a 2 post lift though…

Dave

Mine has always popped. banged, etc. I have st2+ and no cat in zorst system and at touring speeds its quiet as stock, on boost it just makes the turbo whoosh sound. Eventually you will be able to get it to pop when you want it to, lol. Mine pops and spits flame on boost when accelerating, at each gear change. All part of the fun.