Best Mk1 Locking wheel nut set

Evening all,

Just got my first mx5 mk1 and have noticed that it hasn’t come with any locking wheel nuts.
Does anyone have any recommendations on the best non stupidly expensive set to buy? Seen a few people say that the ones they’ve bought were longer than the standard wheel nuts, hence the want for suggestions before I purchase anything.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

The last time I witnessed a set of wheels being stolen was back in the late ‘80s… If they want your wheels that badly, they’ll just take the whole car.

Well, back around 2005, my dad went out to drive his Mondeo. To find it missing its wheels. No blocks. The car was just sat on the gravel drive.

There are these:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/locking-wheel-aftermarket-models-p-1556.html

BBS versions are basically stubbier versions.

What wheels have you got? 14” with centre caps?

I got rid of mine just 4 studs , never heard anyone having there alloy wheels stolen :open_mouth::grimacing:. As a member said 80,s it was rife .

Regarding theft, I suppose it also depends on how common your car is and how common the stud spacing etc. is. There is probably a much bigger stolen goods market for Mondeo wheels than MX5 wheels.

The stud pattern for the NA/NB MX5 is incredibly common. 4x100 is common to Mazda, Honda, BMW, VW etc. Some MX5s, particularly imports, have wheels that can retail for more than £1000 a set.

Insurers claim their records indicate that for a typical British city, 15-20 sets of wheels are stolen each week.

You’d think the market for stolen MX5 hardtops was tiny. But enough are stolen off cars for manufacturers to develop anti-theft solutions.

It’s just one of those things, better safe than sorry I guess. Piece of mind :slight_smile:

I’ve got 14" Enkei’s so nothing special, hoping to find a set of 15" BBS at some point though.