Best tyres for hillclimbs - NB

I have a Mk2 Mx5 which I am currently getting ready for competing in some hillclimbs and I am not sure what tyres to go for. This will be my first ever time racing so don’t need to go overkill on tyres as I wont be pushing the limits first time round, but I’d like something that provides good grip that I could push as I gain confidence over the season. At the last hillclimb I went to all the Mx5s there were running R888rs so i’m assuming they’d be a good option, but I’d like to get some more suggestions to help decide. Thanks

1 Like

I’ve driven a couple of track set up cars that were running Nankang NS2Rs and AR1s and both felt really good in the corners but were all FWD hot hatches. Also the prices were pretty reasonable in my opinion.

1 Like

First time; stick to regular tyres. They won’t even get warmed up on a hillclimb. If you are chasing after a place and don’t mind bouncing off a wall etc, then go for domething else.

There will be two sorts of competitor at a hillclimb. Those turning up under their own steam for their 2 runs and 1 practice, and those with a car on a trailer and at least two sets of wheels. If you are at a normal car club sort of event, the leaders will invariably have a Mini, Nova, Metro sort of car, and most of them will have a garage or scrapyard as their day job (from what I saw). I could never compete against someone with a stripper car, running a choice of dry or wet weather tyres (the hillclimb might be dry, might be wet, no I never tried to. We had our own little “group”, not taking it too seriously. On our ccourses, the MX5 gear ratios didn’t help. Someone found that there was an improvement in time switching to 13" wheels (off an Opel Manta), though that’s not really an option on a NB (front brakes will foul the wheels).

2 Likes

Hi I run an ITB Eunos. Which is fully road equiped running stock shocks and springs.
I have used NS2rs which I find very stable in the sidewall with good turn in. They are not so good for me on the damp or on dusty surfaces found on hillclimbs, I have used them for an airfield sprints and they are brilliant for that.
I have used a set of Michelin 195/50/15 PS 3 which I find a much better tyre for hillclimbs and daily driving.
I take part for fun and drive to the event enjoy myself then drive home afterwards.
For the first time you take part just make sure you have a matched set of tyres which are less than six years old that are a reputable make. ( No cheap Ditchfinders ) Once you have a couple of years of events under your belt then take things up a level or two.
Just go for it and have fun.
I use a hardtop which gets around having to have a roll hoop fitted an do not even use a bucket seat, I use a thing called a CG lock which fits onto the seatbelt disabling the inertia reel so its like a fixed seat belt.
Where abouts are you going to be taking part. NS2Rs are better at Gurston Down which is a good surface. My local hill Werrington favours the PS3s for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the useful information, done some research and think I’ll go for the PS 3s as they seem great all-rounders and especially since I’m in Scotland so theres plenty rain which these tires will perform well in. The car won’t be finished until summer so this year I’ll only be able to do the Fintray Hillclimb in Aberdeenshire in August and the road is used by a farmer when the hillclimbs aren’t on so it’s not the best and can be quite greasy on some damp days but it usually clears up well over the day.

Cheers for the reply and help, I appreciate it. Will go for road tyres to start with and see how it goes, maybe bring some upgrades next year.

If you’re doing MUK stuff your tyres will need to be List 1A or List 1B if you’re in a road going class. Approved tyres are listed in the 2022 Yearbook (aka Blue Book) starting on page 214 - link to the 2022 Yearbook download page here

1 Like