Big brake upgrade

Yeh thats good to know. They certainly don’t make any contact so im happy they are ok, as I didn’t really want to put spacers on, although I like the wider stance that spacers give.
I have only done about 10-15 miles in the car bedding them in a bit so I cant comment on how they perform as yet, but certainly improved the braking feel as my old discs were warped a bit I think and shuddered a little under braking.
I am planning another track day with a couple of mates soon so I will update once I have give them some proper use.
As for pads I have the wildwood ones that came with the kit on the front and I went for blue stuff pads on the back ,so again I will know more once ive done another track day.
Regards
Rob.

If that’s Stewart from Freaky parts ? then I got the wilwoods from your online shop ,along with the discs and hel hoses. Ta.

What fluid are you using as that is a huge ’must have’ on track.

Quality vented discs, high temperature boiling point fluid and recognised trackday pads with a standard type caliper upgrade will be fine unless you really want to spend out on billet ally callipers. Only other benefit of ally callipers is unsprung weight.

Dont bother with drilled discs, the holes fill up in no time and unless forged with holes like Porsche are drilled which splits the grain and so they crack. Grooved are ok if you are setting them on fire as it allows the gaseous layer to vent and is an easily read wear indicator but with a well matched set up solid will be fine.

****stuff pads used to be ok a few years ago but in my experienced view are now useful only for teenagers in fast road mode.

I always file down the ‘ears’ on the pads so they don’t bind when expanded by heat. They might rattle a bit when cold but will free off fully when seriously warm.

Single pin billet ally caliper pads will always rattle for that reason.

As a starter, better pads with immediate bite and high temp fluid will surprise you with Standard callipers.

Larger callipers with a bigger piston area also affects the mechanical advantage of your current master cylinder/piston area ratio so will need a harder push to stop but the larger pad area means less heat and the bigger disc returns some of the mechanical advantage.

Hi
cheers for the info there,
Yeh ive changed the fluid for Motul RBF 660 dot 4 .
All nice and fresh now.
I had heard that drilled discs can crack but I will see how It goes. They were not too expensive to be honest and will certainly be better than the warped ones that were on.
I was advised to go for Blue stuuf pads which I have put on the rears and the calipers I got came with Wilwood pads for the fronts so again I will see how they go.
Thanks again
Regards
Rob.

Well ive just done a track day at Blyton at the weekend and had a lot of fun.
The only problem was the pads on the front (wildwood bp10 pads) seemed to be sparking and fading badly.
Even the marshalls advised me to keep an eye on them when I left the track just before lunchtime .
I over shot a right hand bend just before the start finish line 3 times and thought what am I doing wrong but it was the brakes that were not performing due to overheating I presume.
The car had done a few hundred miles since putting them on and was fine on the road and bedded in properly and the pads were as new going to the track.(now down to about 3mm left on them both sides)
Another driver spoke to my son on leaving the track and asked if he knew the brakes were on fire which was a bit of a shock.(they weren’t on fire but more like a firework giving off sparks effect) maybe it was the metal elements in the pads firing off as the pads wore excessively.
Any how we let it all cool down and after lunch tried again but the fade was still there and the glow on braking , and by now the low fluid light had come on due to the amount of pad wear.
We decided safety was prime concern so we parked up , knowing we still had a 2 hour drive home in it.
I have got some blue stuff pads for the front now and will give them a try and im also going to put some cooling ducts in the front bumper to feed the brakes some cool air which im sure will help.
I have to say im surprised the pads wore so quickly as my mates are on standard road pads in their cars and although they smoked a bit they had no problem with theirs and we were all kind of batting on at a similar rate.
Still a great day though and hopefully the blue stuff pads will sort the problem out , along with a some fresh fluid .

Well a quick update.

I have changed the pads today to Blue stuff ones and the ones I took off were well and truly worn all round.

All four pretty evenly worn , so no stuck brakes pistons or anything, and I pushed them back in by hand fairly easily ,well with a thin piece of wood as a lever.

I will get some pics up if I can remember how.

First attempt at posting pics of my worn pads from track day.

And as you can see all pads were fairly evenly worn.

njkmr, What calipers were fitted to the rear, were they the standard OEM calipers or did you upgrade them? Did you upgrade the front discs to larger ones? TIA

Hi RobDodd37,
yeh the calipers on the rear are the standard calipers with blue stuff pads.
The front discs are the same size as the original discs that were on.
Regards
Rob.

Thanks njkmr