Bleeding clutch... In both uses of the word

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA
  2. I’m based near: Cheshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: bleeding clutch…

About a month ago I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder on my NA, so while I was at it I refurbished the master too. it was working perfectly until this week and it’s started to lose pressure on the pedal if I have it held down for more than a couple of seconds and have to pump it like crazy, I thought it may just need bleeding, which I have done, but still get the same issue… It doesn’t appear to be leaking anywhere… So does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Check there isn’t a leak on the rubber hose over the gearbox. I’ve had to replace 2 of them due to the rubber perishing. Aftermarket hoses (Moss) are a waste of time I found.

For bleeding, I now gravity bleed the clutch.

Cheers I will check the hose but I’m sure there is no leek as the level isn’t going down.
How you you gravity bleed the clutch?

You just pop the bleed tube of choice on the bleed valve nipple and point it at a receptacle, remove the filler cap from the reservoir and then open the bleed valve.
Just stand back and let gravity take it’s effect----------very slowly---------------eventually your reservoir will go down and your receptacle will fill up.
Remember to top up after a couple of years waiting around !!! Seriously just keep an eye on things so you do not run dry.
:heart:

1 Like

Given that master cyinders are cheap, I would have just got a new one, rather than trying to rebuild one that is 25+ years old.

2 Likes

New master cylinder has done the trick, thanks all

2 Likes