Blocked drain sills (I assume) have flooded my mx5

After some heavy rain both foot wells where drenched. First time ive had any leaking issues since i got the car earlier this year. A 2008 nc soft top.

After finding out about the trombone method I did this and got one side through eventually. The other side no chance. I ended up finding the exit pipe under the car and found some sponge stuffed in. Obviously someone has previously broken the flaps in the past and used the sponge to block the air flow causing noise into the car.

Looking at the sponge it looks old and covered in muck and maybe blocked, not the best bodge. Does one just pay to get this work done or keep using sponge and replacing it every month or so? Im assuming the job is expensive? Anyone have prices?

Lastly I have done my best to dry the carpets with a wet hoover and now I drive around constantly with the feet blowers on full blast. Will this moisture eventually find its way out? Its coming to winter so all water issues need sorting as its not garaged. The roof has also been treated and re sealed recently. As much info as possible please folks. Time is of the essence winter is coming!

1 Like

Footwells - Have you done your scuttle retainer grommets ?

see :~ Scuttle Grommets Mk3 etc.

3 Likes

Two things,

Watch this video, replacing the drain flaps seems straight forward but a tad long winded.

Also I had water ingress at the front due to the scuttle grommets leaking and managed to seal them whilst touring in Cornwall.

I simply removed the two fixing screws from the bulkhead cover over the windscreen wipers and managed to clean around the old grommets while the cover stayed in in situ by lifting them up sufficiently to clean and smear silicone around all edges using a screwdriver. I used a small tube of gasget silicone bought from Halfords £5.00 sorted it in Halfords car park.

Now a proper repair pending at home.

PS…

I you break the little black covers getting to the screws I also found these would fix back with a blob of silicone.

Roy

3 Likes

It will, but car needs to be well ventilated. Take opportunity in dry weather to leave windows open a crack. If sunny, get the hood down (as long as the inside lining is dry).
Cat litter, silica gel, rice can all be used to absorb moisture.
Lots of info online.
I use Pingi microwaveable pouches in my NA. They have a colour indicator on them which helps to know when to recharge (6 mins in the microwave). As have no a/c, it helps keep fogging of windscreen to a minimum.

2 Likes

Here is the principle I applied in this video for my temporary grommet fix, looks like the guy got a bit carried away with the silicone a tad OTT I recon,

Make sure these grommets don’t leak because water falls into the internal fusebox and you want to avoid that.

Note: for my quick fix outside Halfords I did not remove the wipers just the 2 fixing screws.

Youtube link : How to Fix Wet Carpets on 2006 - 2015 Mazda Miata MX5 NC - YouTube

Roy

1 Like

I also had the same issue. Its a bit of overkill but I stripped out the interior carpets so they could dry properly, other wise I doubt they will dry out sat in the car as the insulation under the carpets holds water better than a cactus ha ha!

1 Like

Cheers Roy I shall do that anyway even though I am sure the water has come from the drainage sills.

Ill be getting some of those gels bits today. Seems like every mx5 should have some kind of water absorbing tech! :joy:

At the moment it seems to be improving. No longer is it misting up at the front or side windows only at the back. If the back doesnt sort its self out it may be a seats out job.
I will add the boot is bone dry how ever the day I found the puddle in the front the boot did have condensation. All seems fine now.

I did check them. They have previously been done. It all turned out that a previous owner had broken the flaps on the drains and shaved a sponge in the bottom of the pipe to stop the air noise he had created. Unfortunately he did not tell me this. It seems the sponge had got so filthy it was no longer allowing water to pass through it. On top of that I have realised parking up hill is a bad idea in the rain as the shite design of the trays that collect the water from the roof may over flow snd the holes toward the front of the tray.

1 Like