Boroscope (2024) / Pest removal tips

Thoughts in 2024 on a boroscope/inspection camera suitable for shoving up the underneath bits of your car?

Best bang for buck etc…

Not looking for a commentary on the efficacy of using one and subsequent actions, just interested in the best economic technical solution available at this point in time.

I saw a (since discontinued) one online which had the camera able to be rotated via control buttons in any direction in addition to the usual wand bending.

I’ve never seen one like it since (and doubt I’d find the original again in a hurry), but that’s the type I’d be searching for.

If anyone replying to your thread finds one with the above feature it would definitely be something I’d bookmark.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CJZZZ9HS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0CJZZZ9HS&pd_rd_w=xuwx8&content-id=amzn1.sym.7b0d8b34-54be-4fd2-9baf-2d658b11dc53&pf_rd_p=7b0d8b34-54be-4fd2-9baf-2d658b11dc53&pf_rd_r=9MGTTT2E1FNBC4BNASVS&pd_rd_wg=QfwPs&pd_rd_r=ae63c83d-9768-417a-8938-14e9cc37bd0c&s=photo&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

This I have one but i think it was cheaper when i got it

1 Like

You needn’t pay fortunes for a borescope these days, there are many out there that just plug into a smartphone and work pretty well. Probably won’t be up to snuff against your workshop quality stuff but plenty good enough to poke about and very cheap.

I purchased this 1200P Wireless Endoscope for Automotive Inspection IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Camera Compatible Android and IOS iPad PC - AliExpress It is better than expected and produces a very good image. Obviously it is no good for brain surgery but if you just want to look inside box sections on your car then you will be pleasantly surprised. The fact that it is wireless is an added bonus
:heart:

1 Like

I need something to find out where the wasps nest in my garage roof void without dismantling the ceiling . Can’t do anything on the car with those buggers buzzing around my ear holes. Got stung twice last summer.
Seems cheap enough to take a risk on.

In the 1980s my pragmatic neighbour (Texan oil-man) identified the access point at the eaves of his garage and then used the cylinder vac to trap them all while they exited it, only about ten minutes standing there in the sun in his t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops.

To prevent them from eating their way out of the bag he finished up with a dose of wasp killer.

1 Like

That is exactly why I ordered one and it turned out to be better than anticipated.
:heart:

Use a very diluted washing up liquid in water mix in an old spray bottle. Spray any wasps around you and they will be gone in an instant away from you. They breathe through their bodies and this suffocates them (in about 10 minutes?) if they are covered. They lose any aggression in my experience once sprayed so they should not attack you!! Its not going to do anything about the nest but hopefully you can use the garage.

1 Like

Thanks Malc, that particular listing doesn’t offer stock now, however I have purchased something that looks very similar for £0.55… introductory offer from AliExpress. Definitely worth a punt at that price point.

'Wasps nest in garage roof void"

Few years ago had a nest in bathroom flat roof. The roof was leaking so when ‘wasps’ departed landlord replaced said flat roof

But following year they returned and tried to re-nest in a kitchen cupboard through a hole in the outer brick work

So I watched them to discover they weren’t actually wasps but BEES who are protected

So I stuck a wine cork in the hole in the outer brick work until landlord came and re-cemented the hole

Mama Big Bumble Bee pretty annoyed for a bit that she couldn’t rebuild her hive in her chosen spot

But she buzzed off and not seen her since

No deaths occurred …yeah result !

1 Like

I use the same for greenfly. Someone told me to use hairspray if wasps get in your house and they simply glide out of the window.

I missed my sisters birthday because we discovered the night before setting off that some sneaky wasps had got into the vehicle (not regularly used) at some point in time and built a basket ball sized nest in it.

Had to call in an exterminator and by the time they arrived it was too late to go.

Paid under £15.00 delivered for an Android compatible Endoscope from Banggood in China. Works just fine with my Samsung smart. Came with 45 degree angled mirror and other tools. Depth of field is modest but one learns to deal with that. Originally used it to examine pistons in our old 325 Beemer after the cam belt tensioner failed (the garage had just changed the belt but not examined the tensioner). Most recent use was a few weeks ago when getting my Summer Driver MX5 NC ready for its’ MOT. Discovered that rodents had nibbled into the storge bubble and used the engine bay wiring as lunch. The destroyed foam on the upper plumbing was obvious but the endscope was needed to view the wiring to the well hidden ECU. There was some damage. Secondhand loom from Ebay cost me £30. Garage (not the same one!) charged £120 to fit it. Now acquired a claimed ‘rodent repellent spray’ for use on all the non cabin electrics… time will tell.

1 Like