Bosnia and Herzegovina

Lots of Threads for trips in Western Europe but try going a little further east. One of our Eastern European favourites is Bosnia,. We have travelled across it a couple of times, once on motorcycles and once in our Z3 and look forward to getting back in 2017 in our MX5. One thing to remember though is that it is not EU. If you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle you need an International Driving Permit. Odd rule and no big deal. It’s £10 from major Post Offices. Also your UK insurance will not cover you. A green card is required if your insurer will issue one or you can buy, probably worthless, insurance at borders. When we went on our bikes my insurer provided a Green Card but my wife’s would not. She bought the border insurance for 10 Euros for a week. Last year I did not bother with Green Card and a week at the border cost 30 Euros. Vehicle docs are checked on entering.

Once into Bosnia driving is on mainly deserted roads through some really great scenery and interesting towns. Fuel is very cheap and double rooms in four star hotels are unlikely to cost more than 50 Euros (they have there own currency but stll price most things in Euros). Last year we entered from the south of Croatia and drove north, staying in Mostar, famous for the 15th century bridge, and then through Jajce with it’s waterfalls and then staying in Banja Luka before going on north back into Croatia and on to Austria.

North of Mostar

Jajce Falls

Roadside Lamb BBQ (as recommended by CQ magazine!!)

Near Banja Luka

looks like a cracking destination 

I agree. Beautiful.