Brake hoses braided or standard?

My '91 Eunos had braided brake hoses when I got it a few years ago,  being braided there’s no way of inspecting the hoses inside the braiding so I am considering replacing them as I don’t know how old they are.  Not sure whether to replace with more braided or go with standard rubber hoses. Also where do people get their replacement hoses OEM Mazda? or are the Pagid ones from Euro Car parts just as good?

Braided hoses difficult to inspect but people advise a better brake pedal feel.

In the past there was concern with bursting as you could not examine them for splits and people on this forum reported some cases of bursting.

There is the odd report of some braded hoses beeing too short or too long.

OEM units are easier to inspect and possible warning of failure if you get under the car every few months. We know they have a long working life.

If you bleed your existing brakes you usually get a firmer pedal feel. The question is do the braided house improve on that or are you just getting the usual boost of a full bleed.

I think for road use the difference people feel is probably as you say just the difference after you bleed the brakes. I’m more concerned that I can’t really see the condition of my current brakes so I have no way of knowing if they are ok or not!

you’ll always get a harder pedal with braided as they don’t expand like rubber does ,its not just fresh bleeding ,Aerospace applications always use braided for protection and because they don’t expand,I have Goodrich ones on my Mk1 and they have been superb,I see no reason to renew as they don’t wear and as they don’t expand/contract should really be as good as new - what we used to call ‘on condition’ - visual inspection only !!

Ron,

The issue here is that you can only see the wire brading if you inspect the hose and the actual presure container, the inner hose cannot be seen on the wire braded hoses.

On the O.E. hose you can see splits in the outer hose and in that case the inner pressure hose.

The users choice but one is not 100% better than the other.

Not all aircraft have steel braded brakes hoses.

A master cylinder brace is better than braided lines. Braided lines often seem to be of iffy quality. However, a MC brake stopper doesn’t compromise the factory braking system at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wDQcOpfAXw

Unless you know or have very good reason to suspect a problem with your current lines, my advice would be to leave them alone and spend your money on something else.

Braided hoses do give a much firmer feel to the brake pedal. A good quality correct braided hose will probably outlast the car.
But there are many cheapo parts on the market who’s lengths may not be ideal. At least if you go for OEM you’ll have no worries.