Brake Pad Buying

It started happening without the brakes being touched, the pad seated correctly as noted by the ridge on the pad, weird.

something definitely not right cuz the pad wear doesn’t match exactly the wear on the disk

My Capri 2.8i’ fronts use to do that in the 80s.
Standard Ford rotors were just not up to my style of driving.
It’s common disc warping /cast flaws by the looks…not forgetting they are all only cheap cast iron.
I fitted Tarox grooved eventually which ate pads even if I bedded them in by the book…but it was less hassle changing them.
Capri Club Int. did a discounted line in Mintex “whatevers” and they proved really good…until I lunched 'em.
Not forgetting these cars only had front rotors, drums rear, and in addition mine was a professionally engineered Vulcan-Burton steel mill at 3,100cc…with too much power for the old single leaf sprung chassis. :grin:
Despite all that, the Capri remained hopelessly underbraked.
Which…made it “interesting”.

1 Like

It does if you look closely. The outer part of the pad is lower than the rest, hence the ridge on the disc.
But why is a little mystery perhaps.

Fits on the disc nicely and the wear pattern says it was fitted ok. Flipped over you can see the step which contacted the rusty lip.
As I say it just started doing this around 2 years ago, why is a mystery.:thinking:

Finally got around to stripping the front brakes on the SEAT daily driver. I visually checked them before buying the rear discs/pads and they looked fine. Well a strip clean and lube in the right places revealed plenty of pad left, discs in good nick, not bad for 35k miles
Gave it an oil change too and reset the oil/inspection reminder which popped up a couple of days ago.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.