Brakes for track day use

Hi all just brought my first mx5 to use on tracks days it’s had a lot of work done apart for the brakes it has braided hoses currently running 240 bhp on oem discs and pads Just wondering if these will be ok on track or weather I need to uprate them for it first track day at donnington on the 28 th any help or advise would be much appreciated

1 Like

Which model?

2004 1.8 nb

Better pads are probably a good idea at Donington, as there are some long straights; the brakes will cook.

I have a similar question to Ross_c, however, I have a 2017 Mk4 MX-5. Its the 2.0L 153bhp version, & everything is stock. I’ve been tracking it for a good few months now & will do through out the year. The brakes will be the first upgrade I make, & I was looking for any advice on what calipers to upgrade too. An exciting time, so anyone who can help me, it’ll be much appreciated.

You really shouldn’t need to uprate calipers, just pads.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with Nick. Having personally spent quite a bit of time and money over the last year on a radically “upgraded” brake setup (2.0 NC) - which works, but makes the car difficult to drive - I would probably recommend a pad like EBC Yellowstuff (maybe fronts only) ie something that isn’t overly strong in terms of outright stopping power, but won’t easily disintegrate under the higher temperatures that are bound to be generated on track. But if you want to experience a much stronger bite, then Carbotech XP8 would be a good choice, will last very well, but arten’t cheap.

And don’t forget to ensure you use a good quality Dot 4 fluid that is nice and fresh and properly bled through. Braided brake lines might be good too.

1 Like

With respect, I think that gives a very misleading message. Especially for track use you need all the elements to be in good order. With pads in particular I’ve seen a number of examples (including a Merc C63) where stock pads have simply crumbled to dust after a few enthusiastic laps on track. And cheap discs can crack and may even break up.

And I really wouldn’t bother spending so much extra on Castrol SRF. In something like an MX5, any half decent Dot 4 fluid is perfectly adequate.

2 Likes

Oh, I love it when we get a “don’t you know who I am!” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

You suggested that “fluid is more crucial than pads and discs”. I didn’t suggest it was factually incorrect (although if pushed I would probably say it is lol), but that I felt it gave a “misleading message” - and by that I mean in terms of to people who may be less experienced when it come to preparing and taking cars on track.

On the Merc 63 that I cited there there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pads or discs at the start of the trackday ie they were in good condition, but half an hour later and the pads were history.

What pads would you use in your MX5 if taken on track?

Give Paul at Roddisons Motorsport Sheffield S9 1US a call
0114 244 5300 he will give proven & sound advice.
Keith

1 Like

Ross, I will be at Donington on the 28th. I have just put on some of the Roddinson pads from BOFI, no idea if they are good or not yet but though I would give them a shot. The OEM pads that I was running (just to wear them out) fell apart from previous Trackdays, I think the pad material transferred to the disc and gave a horrible shudder on brake application.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it! Only just getting back on tracks now, hence the delay. I’ve heard of Roddisons Motorsport before, so will give’em a bell, lots to think about now. Great starting point guys, top answers :+1:.