Broken interior door pull - help

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2009 prht
  2. I’m based near: __glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __door pulls

My attempt to change the door speakers today did not go well. The wiring set up looks quite different to the videos I have watched, but that will need to be solved another day.

When removing the door card, I found that the bottom of the door pull on the driver’s side had previously been broken, and glued back together. This was revealed by my use of force to lever it out. Much worse though was that I then managed to break the top section where it screws into the door.

Now looking for a new one, but before I head to Mazda wanted to ask if anyone knew if alternative suppliers? And is ‘door pull’ the correct term?

I refer to it as the handle… But this makes me think we may be talking about different parts…

Can you post a picture so I can be sure we’re talking about the same thing?

No problem - I’ve attached a picture of the intact passenger side and the damaged driver side.

Yep we are talking about the same thing… However on my 2006 1.8 they’re different… They’re tubular in shape.

Back to your original question, I would try mazda direct, and give mx5 parts a call. I’ve often found things to be cheaper direct from mazda dealers than mx5 parts, and the same vice versa, depends on the part I’d guess.

I’ve also had a lot of success in the past by searching for the make, model and age of the car on ebay, and then adding’ breaking’ to the end of it as a search term…

Its an easy job once you’ve got the part though… I had mine apart a couple of months ago to sort out the infamous rattly windows!

1 Like

Thanks. Will check local Mazda main dealer next week. MX5parts don’t seem to stock this variant, and I can’t find anything like it on eBay or other websites. The NC2’s don’t seem to have as many cottage industry products as the earlier models.

Probably best to look out for a replacement door card.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for door cards as well, but nothing even slightly local at the moment. Can’t see anything online from UK suppliers but have found what looks like it may be the relevant part in the USA. The part is only seven dollars but delivery prices are insanely high. May have it shipped to a friend in California and get them to post it to me, if nothing available in UK.

Of course, still hoping that Mazda dealer in Glasgow will be able to sell me the part when they open on Monday.

Give these a try below, best ringing as the website is not returning much but it never does. Last time I visited they had a yard and store full of MX-5 goodies.

https://www.pmsportscars.com/

1 Like

Thanks Mick - will do. I’ve been trying to remove the remains of the handle from the door card, but they are stuck fast. I’m guessing that the broken section is curved under the armrest.

Any idea if the top of the armrest can be removed for access? I’m now very reluctant to use force unless I’m sure it’s something that is just held by clips.

It’s door card off I’m afraid. If it’s like my NC1 the lower part of that door grab handle can be released once the card is off. I took mine apart to paint around that panel holding the mirror switches. That arm pad also comes away but again needs to be released by getting the card off but you won’t need that removing to get at the handle part.
If like my NC1 remove the top screw that would have held the handle, there should be a second screw inside the cup holder then one behind the trim in the door release catch. The door card then pulls off the clips around the bottom and up the sides and hooks on the top rail of the door frame. Remove the release handle through the hole intact, disconnect the mirror switch connector speaker.

Thanks - will have a go this afternoon if weather remains dry. I did manage to get it off yesterday, but struggled to see how to disconnect the wires to the tweeter and the locks/mirror switches. It all looked more complicated than the illustrations

Yes those connections are fiddly, TBH I took my tweeter out of the door card (3 screws) much easier. The mirror switch connector is easier, especially when you done it around 3-4 times like me when I had door lock problems.

1 Like

I did exactly that with the tweeter in the end, but really struggled with the mirror cables. Gave up in the end because I was a bit spooked by the broken handle. Have now watched yet another YouTube video and can see how the bottom of the handle is connected to the door card (as you suggested).

Managed to retrieve the broken section from door card - just need to track down the replacement on Monday.

1 Like

I think that one must be a pre-2009 model - different shaped handle. Pity, because it looks like a good deal.

Local Mazda dealer has ordered the replacement handle for me - should have it on Wednesday. Given that everything connected with cars seems expensive, I was amazed that it cost less than £8!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - the forum is a great resource for new-ish owners.

2 Likes

Result :+1: I was thinking, it comes with the door card sir as an answer.

1 Like