Brooklands 2014, Any questions about coming? Please post in this thread…

A couple of questions about tickets and the Test Hill:

• If buying a £9 ticket in addition to my members freebie, and possibly a Test Hill ticket, is it one £1 postage charge?
  • Have you any info about the Test Hill, what's involved and how it will be managed on the day?
  • Does the Test Hill include a run round the banked track?
Thanks Ray

I used Paypal earlier.  It worked OK.

Hi Ray, Yes you can add as many tickets to your order as you wish or require it goes through on a single process, if you wanted to add at a later date (though the online Test hill sessions are getting pretty close to selling out) then you can use the ticket rate for them also

Will have more on Test Hill in the next STHT as it is a great spectator part to the day also, see the links below for a flavour and there was some info in the past copy of STHT… 

Test Hill will be fully run and marshalled by Brooklands team who also provide all the briefings for drivers as well as the Fire and First Aid cover, the costs of these are divide across all the available places what the fee covers. WE may need a couple of our volunteers to usher cars from the paddock to the start, but otherwise  similar to the day at Prescott.
After tackling the run on the hill, (will you back off before the crest?*) the track winds round the members Lodge on the heights and exits out onto part of the remaining section of the banked track before leading you back under the bridge to the main paddock area, it is not as long as Prescott for example - but it is a chance to drive at Brooklands and a thrill that I am sure will keep you going for quite a while.

The track sadly has not been complete since the second world war and never will be again. I can highly recommend taking a look at this fantastic article from Jonathan Moore on the Brooklands track and some of it’s history http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/temple-of-speed-brooklands/ as something to whet the appetite before visiting in April, and fascinating to think that 100 years ago records were being set on the track almost every day, the track was entering it’s heyday and truly was the heart of all motorsport in Britain and also that a century later it is still here and we have a chance to enjoy it.

Some shots of Test Hill in action

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/images/sized/images/uploads/news/Robin_Beech_Test_Hill_Challenge_27-litre_Handlye_Special_by_Tim_Morris-800x463.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02186/italy-brook-1_2186277b.jpg

http://www.photoparazzi.com/img/s9/v90/p1580111628-5.jpg

*Just kidding, please follow the advice and guidance of the Marshals and listen in the briefings - if you don’t this is what happens http://www.photoparazzi.com/img/s8/v83/p1581334532-5.jpg

Iain, many thanks for that detailed response to my queries, much appreciated (you must have been up half the night!).

I’ll have a look at the links with interest this evening.  Regards Ray

Thanks Iain for your reply.

It still did not answer why a ticket could not be sent out with STHT.

As the member arrives they hand the ticket in, at the end of the day the tickets are counted, job done.

Secondly if they put so many restrictions have we picked the correct venue?

Also I still think those who enter the car comps should get free / half price entry, as they will not have chance to see much going from past experience and it is also an intensive to enter, a win all-round I would think.

But what do I know I’m only a member. Sealed 

Do I understand that correctly, members partners will have to pay £11 if they book after March?

Being very economical with information here with that and the ticket price for children. 

If the tickets were posted out with STHT then there would be 6000 ticket floating about that anyone could get their hands on so potentially the Club could end up funding entry for thousands of non members. The Club needs control of who has the tickets.

Drew,

On this and the post previous  - As per Robbie’s reply the tickets have an actual value not just a paper one, it would have been impossible to call off and pay for the numbers required to send to all.

Brooklands as a venue

The success of Prescott and the feedback from members following that event highlighted to members and the Committee the positives of visiting historically interesting motoring venues - where there is also an opportunity to drive the cars.
Brooklands is possibly one of the most important and historical motoring venues in the world and certainly Britain. Getting a date there to hold an event within the grounds to the scale that our Spring events was not easy and has been a year or so in the planning, however I believe that committee felt the benefits of bringing the event to members outweigh the administrative issues. It is certainly shaping up to be a great day at the venue.

Several hundred ticket applications in the past couple of days certainly would also seem to confirm that and highlights the desire to go to the venue, the response has been close to overwhelming and a pace for keeping up with it.

Tickets

As highlighted in STHT and on the webstore the deadline for advance tickets is 4th April.
After this date we will not be able to request further advance tickets from the Venue - this is to allow for processing and dispatch. Anyone arriving without a ticket will need to pay regular museum admission, per person.
The link to Brooklands own website was posted to help highlight the current and future ticket pricing that they operate, so that people can see 
We are not able to sell Children’s tickets. The specific details of ages are again on the Brooklands website, our advice is to the pay on the day.

The direct link to the website is http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/your-visit/

If any of the above changes it will be posted here and highlighted in the next STHT due out at the very end of March.

Though I am missing how a free ticket to attend, competitions or not could be be bettered by charging half price for it?
I am hugely respectful and ceaselessly amazed by the work that goes in to showing cars and always encourage people to do so for the legacy of the MX-5 - we try to put competitions at the heart of the event so that this element can be seen by members and those cars admired.

We have upped the prizes - and while there were bumps in making changes, there is a comprehensive judging and scoring manual (see the Downloads section above), a new Competitions Coordinator to help oversee the events and a list of judges all willing to help with the scoring and looking after the competitors.

But the choice to exhibit remains a choice and the competitions at this event are no different from any other Club event, past and future the events. At Brooklands some members will enter competitions (quite a few so far have registered), some will volunteer to judge, or help out at the Club tents, or usher cars, some will do the briefing sessions and drive the hill, some will shop, some will get caught up in the exhibits and museum - or any number of combinations of the above enjoying the event, singling out any specific activity for some additional benefit would be impractical.

So my post has been removed for being off topic, how come Iain has had the grace to answer some of it?

Granted a portion of the post may have been off topic and I would suggest just that bit should have been removed!

Please reinstate the post so this thread makes sense to others!

Well guess old age is getting the better of me but still need clarification re tickets for self & wife both as members on the one card, I read:

quote:

Membership admin provide the relevant definition in the articles as follow:
“Member” means any person or persons who are registered as a holder of a valid Membership Card. In the event that more than one person is registered under the same membership number, then those people shall for the purposes of any rights or obligations arising from the Club be considered as one Member;

unquote.

But as I understand (before I send my application off to Lucie)  then I will only receive ONE ticket & I will still have to pay for my wife at the gate ??? Brooklands office confirmed this as well, one ticket= one person  NOT car & occupants,  so if correctwon’t be coming.

IanF please clarify,  thanks N Rgds, Paul H.

Paul,

That is correct every person requires a ticket, not a per car.

We have an advance rate of £9 per additional ticket if required, this is available until 4th April after that then puchase at the gate will be required at normal museum rates.

For a joint membership you will need your free membership ticket and an advance £9 ticket, for the 2 of you to attend.

Is there any reason why the members that aren’t going to the event can’t donate their “free” ticket to someone who wants to go to the event?

Also, is it Brookland or the OC that have decided the way that the ticketing will work?  

Oh for gods sake!! I’ve ordered my free ticket which as far as i am concerned is my entry fee to the museum, which is less than i would have to pay on a normal public entry day, brilliant!! cash saved

My son who is coming with me has to pay to get in as per a normal admission day. So what’s the problem??

Everytime i look at the forum all i seem to see is a never ending list of criticism , my local forum is great, with support, banter and advice not pick pick with every little detail that somebody dares to put on here

I’m sorry if this offends but we should be looking forward to Brooklands not shooting it down

If the person who wants to go is not a member or is a joint member then they can’t take a complimentary ticket because the Club will be billed for it. One free ticket per attending member/joint membership.

Brooklands work the way they do, the OC has found the best way it can to work with Brookland’s ways.

Well said that man. 

Two people get in for 9 quid !!! 4.50 each. Seems cheap to me for a visit to the world famous Brooklands

Kev

As you know the Brooklands Hotel is at the rather nice end of hotels, but a touch of luxury that may appeal to some members making the trip to the event, and as you asked they came back with the following information for the Club for the Saturday 26th of April 2014

Deluxe King/Twin Rooms:

On 26th April we can offer Best Available Rates – Credit Card details taken to secure the booking only, can be cancelled up to 2pm on the day free of charge:

£149.00 Bed & Breakfast (Single Occupancy)

£159.00 Bed & Breakfast (Double Occupancy)

We do have upgraded room types available too, at the following supplements per room per night:

Track facing Deluxe double £20

Family / Executive double £55

Track facing Executive double £95

Panoramic Suite £135

Suite £175

Panoramic suite with Balcony £200

Track facing suite with Balcony £225

Please note that all guests have use of the Spa facilities at the hotel (His & Hers Sauna & Steam Room, Jacuzzi, Gym, Relaxation areas etc.) as well as complimentary car parking and Wi-Fi.

Your unique allocation ref number is R080686
, please quote this code upon booking with the reservations department

This group will hold a release period of 6 weeks any allocation not taken will be released. Your rate will be released on the 15th March 2014

Any guests wishing to book after this time will not be able to book on these discounted rates.

There are many hotels in the area, Brooklands is without doubt the closest you can find a range of suggested hotel links here http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst71320_Spring-at-Brooklands--Hotels.aspx

You may also be able to achieve better rates art the same hotels if using online booking sites.

The only section of the banked track you will be able to drive is when you come down off the back of Test Hill but even then it will only be 50 yards or so until you are directed back down to the paddock area. Most of the track either no longer exists or is off limits. It is, after all, a listed structure.

Stuart

There will be an information note sent with all the tickets, that will detail directions, useful numbers, guidance on the ticket types and use as well as any, competition or Test hill passes and tickets.

In relation to this question, complimentary tickets will be marked differently from other Advance tickets and upon arrival at the gate a valid membership card will have to be shown alongside any and all complimentary tickets, if more than one complimentary ticket is handed over then the corresponding number of membership cards will be required. Club Marshals will be at the gate to assist the Brooklands team.

As mentioned above and in earlier post we are having to work with Brooklands systems on this event

Hope that helps.

Having been a member of this club for 5 years now I never cease to be amazed by the reactions of some people when asked to shell out a few extra pounds to attend an event or support the club.

Not coming because you have to pay £9 for an extra ticket!!! If you can afford to run a car you can afford to pay £9 to attend one of the most prestigious motor venues in the country but at least it’s a free country and you have the choice whether to attend or not. £1 for P&P , shock, horror! Whatever next? Perhaps having to pay for fuel to get to the venue or surely the club could make a contribution. :wink:

I have to say I think the organisers have been incredibly restrained in their responses to some of the posts in this thread but I am sure those who turn up on the day will have a wonderful time, we certainly have enjoyed all the rallies and have developed some great friendships as well.

If it helps people on a budget and having worked away from home in this area in the past another hotel suggestion…The Warren Lodge at Church Square, Shepperton, £69 B&B located alongside the Thames with numerous nice and varied restaurants close by. Not the last word on luxury, no spa etc. but cosy and welcoming. There will be at least 2 MX5s in the car park on Saturday evening. I seem to remember there was also a pub across the square, The Anchor (?) also had rooms that were even cheaper.

Really looking forward to this, especially since we can’t make the National in September. Keep up the good work guys (and girls). The silent majority certainly appreciate your efforts.

As above, well said. I have paid for tickets for Jane and I on-line and that’s cost me £10.

Why, just for once, cant this Forum have a thread that isn’t ripped to shreds by people that are unhappy with the club. Take your problems elsewhere and address them to the correct people and let threads like this get back on topic.