Bumper protectors / bolster repair

1. My model of MX-5 is: _mk3
  2. I’m based near: _bournemouth
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: styling
    My mk3 was pretty good value but has some cosmetic flaws. Because of its age and mileage reluctant to spend lots of money if it doesn’t add value.
    My car has car park scrapes and bumps on three corners. Some of this was touched up and buffed out and looks ok from 19m away.
    I was trying to think of ways to disguise the damage to avoid a full body shop repair and respay. Also considering replacement used panels from a breaker. Dark mettalic blue code35J anyone?
    Thought I might try some chrome vinyl strips to give the car a more classic look. Will load photos when done. Have tried vinyl inserts in door handles which look pretty good. If the mock chrome bumpers look ok It might be worth making some fiberglass versions that would be self adhesive. If these were scrapes they would be easy to repair or replace. Chrome vinyl wrap is pretty easy to apply on simple shapes like this. Also thinking I might try It on windscreen suround.? Any comments or am I just old and senile?
    It seems most mx3s pre 2020 have damage to the seat bolster on the drivers side. I had quotes to repair this around £100. As my sister is handy with her sewing machine we removed the cover reinforced the panel from inside gluing and sewingn a bit of scrap fabric over the tear. The outside was covered with a fake Alcantara black suede fabric which was hand sewn with invisible stiches.
    Fixed for £15 and about 1hr of my sister’s time. Looks great.
1 Like

I used chrome vinyl wrap on the windscreen surround of my 2.5 but thought it looked a bit too much like tin foil so replaced it with a brushed alloy one that I think looks much better.

12mm chrome strips down the sides.

A bit more along the top of the splitter & used some 12mm foil tape on the fog light grilles to mimick chrome. The things you find to do during lockdown eh!!

2 Likes

Cool great ideas will post images of mine when the weather allows me to do the mock up suggested.:+1::sunglasses: