Burning oil smell

1. My model of MX-5 is:MK2.5 Arctic 1.6 __
  2. I’m based near: Poole
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Burning/Hot oil smell
    Recently I have noticed a hot/burning oil smell whilst driving at low speed. If you can imagine oil dripping on to a hot manifold and “burning off”. I have tried to find a source but everything top end and lower end seems dry and there are no visual signs of an oil leak anywhere. I am not sure if its engine or gearbox oil that is creating this burning smell. Any thoughts my fellow enthusiasts?

Can you get underneath and check for any debris/litter caught by the undertray and melting against the exhaust?

If you put you hand across the exhaust exit, can you seal the exhaust, or is there a leak that is getting into the passenger area?

Lastly, I don’t know what the underside of the 1.6 looks like, but in my cars, any weeping seal (filter and drain plugs are favourite) will drip onto a tray or cross member and likely end up near the exhaust. At slow speed, maybe close enough to start to cook it with little airflow to cool it, without dripping directly on to the exhaust.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to get underneath!

If it’s inside the cabin, maybe hood up driving then check the gear shift boots. You can get hot oily smells transfering to the cabin if one or both (upper/lower) shift boots are perished.
Whip the centre console out and take a peek.

1 Like