Buying a mk3 NC.

Hi just after a bit of advice thinking of buying a mk3 2015 MX5 . What are your views on 2015 against the mk4 2018. My problem is I love the shape of the mk3 .

Best thing is to drive both !,both great cars

Both good cars but after looking at a number of low mileage ND’s they all had bolster wear on the drivers seat even the Recaro edition and ended up buying a NC 25th anniversary that had no bolster wear at 36k miles.

Clearly driving both makes sense, they are both good but in different ways. Although I’ve never owned a mk3 I have driven a 2 litre version. The engine felt nice and torquey, while the handling was fine but not exceptional. Compared with an ND it felt less agile. The interior is a bit of a let down by today’s standards I felt. The mk3 is bigger and looks bulkier than the mk4. Fuel consumption is also much improved with the later model, especially the 1.5 litre. The mk4 to my mind represents a significant step forward. I wasn’t keen on the looks at first, but they grew on me. I moved from a mk2 to the mk4 and have had no regrets. You won’t be disappointed with a mk3 version though, especially if the looks do it for you! 

Hello Wright Mear

Good advice already given, if you have not already done so, check out the Buying Advice section on the Forum.

Regards

Keith

The aesthetics of a car can be a very emotive subject.

Wight Mear - you are obviously a car enthusiast, otherwise you wouldn’t be thinking of buying an MX-5, and also just as obviously, the looks of a car are important to you.

The different versions of the MX-5 over the years all have their fans, and some of these fans can be quite scathing in their opinions of other versions other than their own.  I’m sure you’ll come across lots of postings extolling the virtues of various members’ favourite versions, and denouncing others.

The ND (mk.4) does seem to invoke quite polarizing opinions - it’s something of a ‘Marmite’ car - you either love it’s looks, or you hate them. 

The first three versions of MX-5 have a certain stylistic continuation in the look of their bodywork - one can easily see the progression of the lineage.  The ND seems to have completely broken away from this ‘family resemblance’ thing, and jumped straight into the 21st century with a bang - not to everyone’s approval it must be said.

So I suggest that the first thing you should do when considering buying an MX-5, is to decide which style of body suits your sensibilities best.  If you buy something you don’t like the look of, you’ll never be happy.

Good luck in your quest ! 

They don’t look that much different from the most important angle, behind the wheel… 

I disagree, they look very different from behind the wheel;

NA - loved the view at night with the pop up headlights

NB - never owned or been in one

NC - has that bulge in the bonnet

ND - different view, flat bonnet but raised wings

For what it’s worth I think the Mk 4 is much nearer, if not better than, the driving experience of the Mk 1 and in both you feel much more connected to the car than in the Mk 3. Having said that I couldn’t bear to part with the MK 3 when I bought the ND!!

Over the last 19 + years I have owned a NA  2xNC an ND and finally another NC.

After much searching I found an immaculate 2010 NC Miyako, 1 owner, full Mazda service history 28,000 miles and all supporting paperwork from new.

I liked the ND very much but unfortunately I found it short on leg room and the seat gave me a bad back.

The NC has more leg room and the seats seem to support my back far better.

As other members have already said, try both models. Both are very good cars.

Although I’ve had drives in other 5s (!), I have only ever owned NCs.

The first was actually a company car my wife had, so brand new in 2011 - a 2.0L Powershift Coupe - and I was hooked !  When it came to us choosing her new company car, the ND was released, and as neither of us liked the styling of the new model, we chose a VW Scirocco instead.  However, we both missed the fun of topless motoring, so bought a second-hand NC to satisfy this longing.  

To be honest, although I do like the earlier versions, I would never buy one, simply because of their age now, and the rust problems associated with cars of that vintage.  And as previously mentioned, I don’t like the styling of the ND.  But I am more than happy with my NC - love the looks, and the comfort of the ride.

I wouldn’t agree with IanH’s comment about the only view that mattered is the one from the driving seat.  If I don’t like the aesthetics of a car from the outside - I won’t buy it !

I’ve had several NC’s and one ND. The ND was lovely but SO cramped. On any journey I got out feeling the journey so I went back to NC’s because they just have more space and comfort.