Caliper change for a MK3 sport

I have a 14 year old MK3 sport, 97000.
The offside front caliper is sticking, only slightly, but enough to get everything far to warn when on a run.
Everything has been stripped down and checked, and I think it’s just an age related issue with the caliper, it’s just not retracting as it should.
My question is, what’s the considered best option?
1, renew the seals (mx5 parts cost about £10)
2, new pattern part caliper (£70)
3, a refurbished Mazda caliper (£98)
I’m not prepared to pay for a new Mazda caliper, due to cost…and personally don’t like the changing just the seals option.
Any opinions guys?

I would get an exchange caliper, on my first NC it was direct from Budweg who refurbish/remanufacture them, I don’t think they do direct to retail anymore though you should be able to get them from other retailers.

1 Like

These guys are great, just return your old caliper and they refund the surcharge.

i just went to local motor factors and purchased an exchange one nice and easy take the old one back after you have fitted the new one

Not used them so not a recommendation but how about:

JS

Yeah, mx5 parts pattern one is a bit cheaper, just can’t decide if a refurbished Mazda one would be worth the extra, or just go for the cheaper pattern part

It is a relatively simple job if you have an understanding of basic hydraulics.
I did mine in the dead of winter at below zero degrees on my drive 6 or 7 years ago and haven’t had a problem since, all done in an hour and a half.
If you do it yourself buy extra ‘red’ brake grease as the little sachet supplied with the seals is barely enough.
As said if you have understanding of hyds, do it yourself and save £60 plus.

Just changing the seals won’t fix it. There will be a build up of crud/rust around the bore outboard of where the seal fits which you need to remove without damaging the bore of the caliper.
It can be done but I fitted a refurbished caliper from local motor factor. It looked like a new one and gave me the peace of mind that it would be a definite fix.

Ian

I agree, and have now ordered a Mazda refurbished caliper,

Now all completed, fitted the refurb caliper and changed both sides pads, discs are ok…the N/S caliper is very cruddy looking, but working ok…
Caliper was from autolink total cost once I get the surcharge back for he caliper, £104 . Although only used basic pads…
Easy job though …

Quick service from them then👍

I can’t fault them whenever I’ve wanted parts.:+1:

1 Like

Less than 24 hours from order to being delivered…and the surcharge on the old caliper is returned post paid …yes, pleased with that

1 Like