Caliper clean up

Cleaned up and repainted to look nice and standard , not really a lover of brightly painted calipers also that’s given me a chance to clean the back of the rim up and apply a coat of wax

Before and after

A side note I have not painted the hubs they are new ones fitted to elevate the dreaded rear end knock.

4 Likes

Looks good and in my opinion how it should be.

I think it’s good have to bright calipers when you have a set something special on their but for standard very basic calipers best to keep it subtle.

2 Likes

Even managed to clean the underside of the wheel arch which has plastic covers on but a quick spray of multi purpose cleaner agitated with a brush and wiped over brought them up like new

each to their own :thinking: :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

Did you remove them or paint in situ, also what’s the dreaded rear end knock ?

On the ND,s some of them start to knock from the rear end and so Mazda informed me it was a top rose bush on the rear hub now these cannot be replaced so you have to get a complete rear hub

And yes in situ

A lesson in how to turn “standard very basic calipers” into “something special”!!! :grin:

1 Like

I work with mountain bike brakes so I’m a bit of a caliper snob.

I detest these single pot calipers we have on the MX’s but they do work if you look after them.

2 Likes

It’s a personal choice thing

1 Like

Thank you :+1:

O no , he’s at it again

2 Likes

I like the painted caliper look myself. Just a heads up that the simoniz iron active wheel cleaner that is also great for cleaning calipers is on offer in Tesco at the moment for half price @ £2.50. it is also great for precleaning panels prior to claying so I got a few bottles at that price.

What paint???

hammerite metal paint :sunglasses: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

done !! , just need a short run to get rid of any excess painted area

2 Likes

Hopefully this thread will give me the boost I need to get mine done.
I bought all the parts last Sept/Oct - Discs, pads, paint, pistons, seal kit, fitting kit, SS Brake lines, basically everything I need, but I was working away from home a lot and just couldn’t motivate myself to get it done.
I thing the Covid thing also had an effect.

We had our 1st Vaccine shots last week, winter is over, spring is here and my world seems a much better place now…

Will hopefully have pictures of my own to share soon… but don’t hold your breath on that :blush:

2 Likes

I was the same just found it hard to get motivated , getting back to some sort of morality now that Iv had the jab , spent a couple of days on the MX cleaning and repainting the calipers and a day detailing it

Hi,

Front Brakes
I have overhauled the front brakes on my 2007 NC. Photos to follow if you don’t mind. I changed all rubber seals, Pistons ( lightly corroded), Discs, Pads and most of the mounting hardware including new guide pins. I also gave the backing plates a wire brush and swish with a rattle can.
Both of my old discs had uneven wear due to sticking pads/Pistons.
I opted for boring shiny black for my mine as I just wanted them to blend in behind the wheels.

Everything refitted, car taken for a steady 30 mile ride and everything working with no leaks or nasty noises. The job was fairly straightforward and can be accomplished with basic tools if needed.

Rear Brakes
I have now removed my rear calipers, disks, and mounting bracket .
I have new parts for these too, however my trusty Haynes manual book of lies doesn’t give any instruction for stripping down the rear calipers, in fact it advises against it, and tells the reader to get exchange units !!
I have already bought the overhaul kit and so am kind of committed to it now.

Has anybody stripped down their rear calipers and are there any horrors internally that I need to be aware of ? The rear brakes seem to be in much better condition than the front ones so don’t know if they have had any attention/replacement before…

2 Likes

struggling with images, will try later.

My next job, looking forward to your photos :+1:

If your works up to scratch, I’ll have your address , pop mine in the post… mates rates n all :grin: