Can you transport 4 track rims/tyres in an NB?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NB
  2. I’m based near: Warwick
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: whether any one has fitted a full set of 15" track tyres in their Mx5 and how?

The reason being that I’m considering buying track tyres to use only for track days but want to use a standard road tyre to get to whichever track (and not add wear to a track tyre) and have no support car or trailer.

Just wondering if anyone has tried such a thing and how successful it was?

I have seen someone make a rack and fit it onto the hard top screws. it think it was a dyi job but was water jet cut profile with three cross sections that the tires fitted on and it looked really neat. I would search on facebook track forums (mx5 track days or mx5 europe) if you can find it cuz I think that’s where I saw it

found it but its for an NC, ask them if they can do you one for an NB

https://cybul.eu/?fbclid=IwAR0WmraxUIfmSvbTQUgIkR0PR2ALzz9GcPt2ry4XLEgbJ19dudj1H-ws0qg

Awesome. Thank you for finding it and will definitely take a look. Was thinking of taking the passenger seat out but think that would likely only fit 2 stood up right… Didn’t know if anyone managed to sit them flat on top of each other if 15s would fit…

not sure, to be honest I just I drive my car at trackdays with the tyres I’m going to use for the day. I take some tools, a bit of top up oil and spare pads and thats is. Taking a set of track tyres is too much hassle and I cant be asked to be changing four tyres on the day. I’m not that good to have slicks and wet track tyres anyway. If you are keen I suppose you can do the rack for the tyres but at that point I’d be considering buying a trailer If I’m honest.

If my memory serves my correctly I once read where someone had fitted 3 in the passenger side, seat in or out, can’t remember, think I’d want to remove the seat. The 4th in the boot but obviously it depends on what else needs to go in there.

x 1 in the boot
slide the passenger seat forward, put one wheel vertical behind the seat
fit the remaining x2 tyres on the base of passenger seat

Ok very interesting. Glad to hear it can be done if necessary (I assume this is for 15inchers with rim and tyres mounted on) Thanks chaps.

1 Like

found this pic on Google, they didn’t even bother using the boot!

Interesting solution. I guess the fact that the roll hoop doesn’t have a harness bar helped in this case…

…and that the driver must have been short!

Remove passenger. Remove passenger seat. Two lengthways and two sideways. Protect trim. You’ll need some padding to stop the lengthways ones wobbling.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of goes doing this with my 16 inch rims, without satisfactory results 1st spread them around …

difficult to secure the tyres satisfactoraly on the ledge behind the drivers seat, boot not big enough for a third 16’’ wheel and seat needed for helmet…

2nd pile 'em high on a rack …

… think 2 would be the limit before seriously adversely affecting the handling and possibly risk distorting the rack and or boot lid.

Decided to just run Michelin PS3 on road and track, left the rack on incase I ever get a puncture, no satisfactiry way of getting a deflated tyre / damaged wheel home without it.

Bofi racing supply a four wheel boot rack if one really want’s seperate tyres, upto 10 J for road and track :- https://bofiracing.co.uk/body-styling/exterior/boot-racks/skidnation-tyre-rack-mazda-mx5-na-nb/

My first thoughts looking at the various pictures in this thread are - what’s going to happen to the wheels in any sort of rapid deceleration / crash? I think you’d end up in a mess tbh. Plus I think they’d probably count ans an unsecred load if stopped by the police.

Definitely not very well secured on my first attempt but would have ripped the rack off my boot they were so secire on my second attempt :wink:

Bofi do a tyre rack that fits like, and also works like, a boot rack. Don’t get the split bar version, as it says in the middle. I’m going to get mine welded.