Cancelled - David’s Mid Week Run - Wednesday 8th April - Hop to the Long Shop

NOW CANCELLED DUE TO C-19
HOP TO THE LONG SHOP is Norfolk Fives first mid week run in 2020 and it will be a great start to the season.

Meeting 9.15am at what has become our default starting location; B&Q (South) car park just off the roundabout in Hall Road, Norwich – NR4 6DW we shall travel mainly by B roads for about 45 mins to a café for coffee/breakfast. Time enough for a full English then an hour’s run to the Long Shop.

The Long Shop museum is the name of Leiston Works, or Garretts a family business from 1778 to 1932, after which the company passed into the hands of Beyer Peacock. The works finally closed in 1981. Garretts were world-famous manufacturers of steam engines and other agricultural machinery and this museum gives an insight to the 200 years this site was in business.

‘The Long Shop’ itself is a very early example of a building designed for assembly-line production.

Collections relate to Garretts including; tools, machinery and many items that were made from sickles to steam engines and from guns to dry cleaning machines. There are also displays relating to the Garret family including Elizabeth Garrett, the first woman doctor.

After visiting the museum feel free to zoom zoom off to other parts or home or return together in which case the route will end at the A47/A146 junction south of Norwich for us to disperse home.

On arrival at the Long shop those intending to leave early should park up last of all so you are not ‘trapped’. Entry fee is £5.85 pp (normally £6.50).

We shall leave at 9.30am, fuel available at Asda just off Hall Road or Tesco and Shell both on Ipswich Road (A140).

Looking forward to seeing you on the road in 2020.

David-H

1. Laurie
  2. Richard W

THAT’S IT FOLKS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - RUN CANCELLED

Hi Dave,
So, from past form of the runs from last year, we are guaranteed wet weather !! I’ll put a brolly in the boot.

Thanks for organising this and count me in.

Laurie

Welcome aboard Laurie, brolly you’re joking - you’ll need waders!
David

Hi Dave,

Virus permitting I’ll be there whatever the weather. It’ll be good to see you.

Richard W.

Richard,
Heard you’d not been well, if true then I hope this means you are in zoom zoom mode again. Look forward to seeing you on the April run.
David

I guessed that was going to happen, look after yourselves everyone and hope to see you all soon.