Car making a whirring sound on start up?

Hey Everyone

So I’ve had my euphonic for over 2 years an recently i have started her up to find its making a whirring sound when starting the ignition, it then goes after a few seconds an runs as normal.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be an how to fix it, I’d rather get it nipped in the bud now so it doesn’t get worse.

This cold weather has ruined my battery also so awaiting a like for like replacement would this have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance

1. My model of MX-5 is: Euphonic 2.5
  2. I’m based near: Warwickshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Car making a whirring sound on start up

Hmm, you might try checking the alternator belt is not slipping under maximum load (ie refilling the battery immediately after a cold start).

1 Like

Ive had both these recently changed, I’m hoping it’s because the batteries on its way out

Then the belts will have simply settled in and need a re-tighten. This is a common thing that always needs to be checked.

1 Like

Thanks Richard

Ill check this and get it sorted.

Could the starter motor be still energised for a while after the engine has started,?

I have no idea on this, I’d hope once the new battery arrives this sound might disappear if this is the case, this cold weather really doesn’t like the Mrk2.

It’s not the sound of the fuel pump priming is it? Where is the noise coming from? You say “when starting the ignition”, what do you mean by this? When does the noise occur? When turning the ignition on (dashboard warning lights on), when cranking the engine (holding key in start position) or once engine has started (key released and engine running).

Does it persists longer with main beam on and or go away more easily when you switch them off ? If so I’d suspect loose/worn belt, basically if any electrical loading/unloading makes a difference I’d check out the generator belt.