CAT Prices

Hi all, just came across a post on another site from a company buying old catalitic converters. No wonder some b******s steal them.

" My company purchase all catalytic converters.
These are just a few of the codes that are found on MX5 units attached with prices we are currently offering…:
BP6K £775
BPS3 £660
BP5D £490
B6N4 £470 "

1 Like

Hi, I still have my old one in the garage, do they have a website?

I am getting Neighbourhood Watch/Police notifications almost daily concerning multiple local thefts:

"Catalytic converter thefts have increased this year due to the precious metals they contain and the high metal prices, with thieves even trying to steal them on the roadside and in car parks during broad daylight.

They are particularly targeting specific hybrid models such as the pre-2008 Honda Jazz, Toyota Prius (2004-2016) and Toyota Auris (2012-2018)."

My '94 S Special, de-catted, should be safe then. My 2014 Sport Tech Recaro does
have a Roddison 200 cell cat, it is quite small so maybe the scum will avoid it.

Hi Combemartian. I would also like to know their website as I have a 5000 mile old ND Cat for sale. Cheers.

1 Like

I have posted on this subject a few times. It puts a new dimension on the value of mk2/2.5s , end of life or not. Even the shabbiest rusty mot fail basket case will be worth at least £600. So don’t let any scrap man try & rip you off. Assuming the OE cat is still there of course. Many with knowledge of this situation have sold their OE cat, fitted a full aftermarket system with one & still had change left to spend on other things.

My cat on the MX5 is pretty worthless, but I shudder to think of the cost on my Jag, I’m not even sure I can even get replcements easily. I think about £1700 for the pair, half the value of the car.

My mate has a Mk2.5 NB that he parks on his drive and lives on the outskirts of London. A couple of nights ago he heard a grinder going outside at 10pm, so he opens the front door and get confronted by 3 guys with hoodies shining a torch in his eyes so being sensible he goes back in and phones the police, his next door neighbour with his son and a friend came out and stood and watched them and eventually they gave up and sped off, the police were already on their way as the gang had cut one off down the road. This group of scumbags had used a trolley jack to get under, they probably did a full risk assessment and followed health and safety rules. See photo.

A crime that is made possible by the introduction of battery-powered cutting tools.

Still got the original CAT on my NB, was going to replace the center pipe with the two sections, but might now just get the back section and sleeve over onto my original CAT.

How poor are the new CATs then as you can get for less than £100?

As for the battery-powered grinders - it’s a saving in carbon Vs ones running off of a genny or via a 12Volt socket (always blows the fuse anyway) but also makes work in certain industries - thinking the one I work in, a lot easier and with less H&S risks.

I think you will soon find out what the sub £100 aftermarket cat efficacy is :smile: Kind of surprised that you haven’t already.

Yeah but MX5 Parts sell them, surely they’d not be selling something that’ll not get you through the MOT.

1 Like

Mike, zero thanks given and 46, no sorry 47 thanks, ha,ha, received means you should probably do your own research sir…and then come back and bring your findings to the forum. I won’t hold my breath:-)…anyone with any experience knows the answer anyway.

This week I heard a news item about this problem also appearing here in the Netherlands.

Very sorry to hear that nippan, I surmise that if it can happen in the Netherlands, it can happen anywhere. Hopefully your country will find a more effective way of dealing with the problem than we have here.

Just checked out the price of Rhodium which is the main driver of cat prices and therefore theft incidence. It had reached highs of $30k an ounce and then back down to $10k. I see that it has been back up to around $20k in March but settled back down to around $15k today.

1 Like

For NC’s the cat with highest value is fortunately the one integrated in the header and therefor takes more effort to reach.

No worry for me though - that cat is removed and in the center section I have a sports cat :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard of MK3 cats being stolen over here.
The supposed most valuable ones were MK2.5, 2001 - 2005, then followed by MK2, 1998 - 2000 and finally moving to MK1, later 1997-8, longer bigger cat first and now a few of the earlier cats stolen too.
Aftermarket cats and MK3/MK4 cats are not not being stolen here at the moment.
It would take serious effort and presumably involve considerable collateral damage to steal the MK3 maniverter. Are we talking very low numbers here; I hope so?

The news item was not about the mk3 but about cars in general. And if it’s in the news I assume the numbers are not low.