Clicky Clacky Racky - noises when turning/braking from front end in Mk1

Any help with possible problem points to check for this one?

Elphie makes many strange clicky-clacky noises when turning hard on or near full lock at slow speed, also when coming to a stop at the end of my drive the first time I brake.

Is this a suspension thing? Brake thing? Bushes/boots/callipers? I know all the words just have no idea what they mean lol

Is it common or something I should get addressed - it always did it, but ever since owning and running the Mk3 and Mk2 I have noticed the foibles of the Mk1 more!

hi paul

you beat me to it, i was going to ask almost the same thing. mine has developed a kind of light grinding/groaning under light braking and turning and braking together. 

I had a track rod end replaced and alignment done recently and it seems to have started since then. I may take it back and see if they can find anything.

i was going to ask, (as you have), if it could be anything to do with the springs or shocks, that is what it sounds like, i think mine must be due for renewal as they are probably the originals. any ideas guys, thanks

paul

Mine also at low speeds, turning on full lock either left or right …Common this is it …Hmmmm

Sounds like the power steering pump, IIRC it offloads when on full lock so the pump isn’t overpressurised

So this is within the bounds of normal mechanical behaviour rather than a worry?

Guys,

This sounds like it could be a CV joint too - take a wheel off and see if you can see any grease around the inside of the wheel or on the hub.  Then check the CV boot for splits and leaks.

Shouldnt be too expensive to fix either.

new game, spot the CV joint[;)]

This thread is a bit out of date, the car in the original post has been sold

The purchaser posted on the forum that he was delighted with the car, and as I said earlier in the case of this car, the problem was not a “problem” but was the power steering doing what power steering does on Mk1 MX5s.

BTW Joanne, do you really have to use that annoying dog in your sig. I like dogs but that one is a PITA

They all need a one way trip to the vets[;)]

OOps Bat taken home[:$]